Crimson Drops Two of Three at Elite Six Invitational

Freshman Devan Kennifer continued to be the driving force of the Harvard offense this weekend, providing a spark for the Crimson at the Elite Six Invitational tournament. Kennifer led the team, scoring four goals in Harvard’s lone victory, an 11-9 win ove
By Eric L. Michel, Crimson Staff Writer

In 1840, American educator Thomas H. Palmer coined the phrase, “If at first you don’t succeed, Try, try again.” This proverb was taken to heart by the women’s water polo team this weekend, which had a chance to avenge last weekend’s losses to Bucknell (6-7) and Princeton (8-3). In addition to the two rematches, Harvard (4-5) took on No. 20 Maryland (12-6) in the Elite Six Invitational at Kinney Natatorium in Lewisburg, Penn., ultimately falling to the Terrapins and Tigers, but topping the Bison.

For the players, the tournament was also a chance to prove themselves against the premier teams of the east coast.

The Elite Six tournament usually includes the top-six teams from the previous year’s Eastern Championships. However, the Crimson failed to make an appearance in the 2008 Eastern Championships, and only received its invitation to the Elite Six after Brown, Indiana University and Mercyhurst College opted out of the competition.

“We have a strong belief that we can beat these top teams,” freshman Monica Zdrojewski said.

“We have enough character, heart, and firepower to win tough against a tough competitor,” freshman Devan Kennifer added.

PRINCETON 13, HARVARD 6

Seeking redemption after last week’s tight 10-8 loss to the Tigers, Harvard faced off against Princeton in the final game of the tournament. Last week, the Crimson nearly caught up to the Tigers with a strong fourth-quarter performance.

This week there would be no late game heroics.

Yesterday, the Tigers’ defense kept Crimson’s offensive attack on a tight leash until the final whistle blew; Princeton held Harvard to its lowest point total since its two-goal performance versus Michigan in the season’s opening weekend.

“[The Tigers] were effective in implementing their defensive plan,” Crimson coach Erik Farrar said.

Harvard was outscored 3-1 in the first period and could not pull even, despite its efforts in the next three quarters.

Zdrojewski and sophomore Patricia Smith each scored two for the Crimson, while Kennifer and freshman Laurel McCarthy rounded out Harvard’s scoring with a goal each.

HARVARD 11, BUCKNELL 9

On Saturday, the Crimson defeated host Bucknell, bouncing back from a 14-13 loss to the Bison last Saturday at the Princeton Invitational.

“We were looking for revenge,” Zdrojewski said.

After taking an early 4-1 lead, Harvard allowed Bucknell to battle back and make it 5-5 going into the intermission. In the third quarter each team scored three goals, taking the score to 8-8 entering the final period.

“We went out like it was the first quarter,” Kennifer said. “It was an eight-minute game. We wanted to win really bad.”

Closing out the game on a high note, the Crimson held the Bison to a single goal in the fourth quarter, while putting three in the net on the other end of the pool.

The players attributed the victory to a high level of teamwork and an increased level of intensity and passion after losing to the Bison last week.

“We were going all-out all four quarters,” co-captain Devon MacLaughlin said. “We played a great game.”

MacLaughlin forced four Bison ejections throughout the game. Her efforts were complemented by freshman Shannon Purcell and Kennifer, who had four tallies apiece against the Bison. Zdrojewski added two more and McCarthy found the net as well.

MARYLAND 11, HARVARD 7

The Crimson opened the tournament Saturday afternoon—against a ranked Terrapins squad—coming off a loss in its last game in the Princeton Invitational last weekend.

After Harvard played even with the Terps through the opening half, Kennifer drew first blood in third quarter to grant the Crimson a 6-5 lead. Soon after, the women’s squad lost composure and gave up five unanswered goals in the remainder of the third quarter.

“It was a very tough loss,” Zdrojewski said. “Our defense wasn’t good. We didn’t bring enough intensity.”

One positive note for Harvard was Kennifer, who found the net four times despite Maryland’s strong play in goal. Purcell also helped the offense by adding two goals.

MacLaughlin was satisfied with the team’s performance with the exception of the third quarter, when Harvard was outscored, 5-1.

“We played three great quarters, but the 3rd quarter was not our best,” MacLaughlin said.

Women's Water Polo