Dump Dodd—Then What?

Republicans should choose their candidate carefully

By Brian J. Bolduc, None

MANCHESTER, Conn. — Next year, Senator Chris Dodd may shave his pompadour. Last week, Quinnipiac University released a poll in which half of Connecticut’s voters disfavored the Democrat. Buoyed by this billow, three Republicans—Rob Simmons, Sam Caligiuri, and Tom Foley—are vying for their party’s nomination to dislodge Dodd. To increase chances of victory, some Republicans want to pick a candidate speedily. But they should choose carefully, because voters won’t trade Tweedledum for Tweedledee.

Why did Dodd’s political health deteriorate? He caught Connecticutitis. When you spend 27 years in the Senate, presidential ambitions cloud your mind. You move to Iowa and win zero delegates in the primary. Then, you get sloppy. You wait 193 days to disclose documents about your cheap mortgage from Countrywide Financial, which you oversee on the Banking Committee. And you scold American International Group, a donor to your campaign, for paying bonuses with taxpayers’ money, before admitting that you loosened the loophole.

Unfortunately, Connecticutitis is contagious. Just ask Senator Joe Lieberman. Republicans must select a candidate who, through personality and policy, shows immunity to corruption.

Simmons, a former Congressman, casts himself as the go-getter. With 22 years of legislative experience, Simmons says he will be effective “from day one.” He is prepared: From 1981 to 1985, he was staff director of the Senate Intelligence Committee. “I briefed Mitch McConnell when he first came to the Senate. The Senate is not a new institution to me,” Simmons said. But this experience may be a liability if voters want change. Still, Simmons argued, “Do you want someone in Washington D.C. who knows what he’s doing?”

Caligiuri, a state senator, and Foley, the former ambassador to Ireland, call themselves outsiders. “I’m not a career politician,” Foley said, before touting 25 years of corporate experience. Meanwhile, Caligiuri cited his pledge to serve only two terms, unlike Dodd: “Dodd’s interest is in perpetuating his existence.” But why take a newbie instead of an old pro? Dodd, for example, is leading the debate over health care. “The fact that he’s in front of every issue imaginable is a cynical ploy to show people he’s interested in doing his job again,” Caligiuri replied.

On most issues, the candidates sing in harmony: They all oppose President Barack Obama’s plans to reform health care and stop global warming. But listen closely, and you’ll hear subtle differences. For instance, Caligiuri wanted “strong financial incentives” to curb emissions, while Foley acknowledged, “I think the cap and trade system should be a small part of the solution.”

Some Republicans think that Simmons is the strongest candidate because he has the most name recognition and money. But message is more important, and Republicans should let the candidates distinguish themselves before making a pick. There may be a few surprises. Foley raised over $500,000 in June, almost beating Simmons. And Caligiuri, whose name Senator John Cornyn botched on national television in April, told me, “Senator Cornyn couldn’t pronounce my name six weeks ago, but he can now.”

In the Senate, Simmons, Caligiuri, or Foley would outshine Dodd. Still, the incumbent will be tough to beat. Already, his approval ratings are recovering. Republicans should wait until each candidate’s message is better defined; then, they should decide. Otherwise, voters may stick with Dodd. The people of Connecticut are notoriously stubborn—they call their state, “The Land of Steady Habits.” I hope that isn’t their way of saying they make the same mistakes twice.

Brian J. Bolduc ’10, a Crimson editorial writer, is an economics concentrator in Winthrop House.