Candidates Gather With Campaign Staff, Friends to Celebrate Results

Senan Ebrahim ‘12 raises of bottle of apple cider to all the supporters of his campaign after learning that he won the election for president of the Undergraduate Council last night.
By Stephanie B. Garlock, Crimson Staff Writer

As the lyrics of Queen’s “We Are The Champions” rang through the common room of a Quincy suite, Undergraduate Council president-elect Senan Ebrahim ’12 and running mate Bonnie Cao ’12 celebrated their victory in this year’s UC elections.

“I haven’t cried since I was like nine or something, but it’s gonna happen right now,” Ebrahim said in a speech to the room of friends and campaign staffers. “I’ve been sick today. Nothing speeds up a recovery like a victory like this.”

Minutes earlier, a knock on the door had brought the party in the room to a halt, as Ebrahim opened the door to reveal members of the Election Commission, UC leaders, and the Harvard Glee Club. After Election Commission Chair Cort S. VanOstran ’12 announced their victory, the candidates embraced, popped a bottle of apple cider, and prepared for the traditional serenade by the Glee Club.

Ebrahim expressed his readiness to begin the work of leading the Council. He said that he had already scheduled a meeting with administrators about advising issues for this morning.

Ebrahim also stressed that he plans to maintain the momentum of the campaign and the past year by focusing on Council culture—promising to make his first piece of legislation the “Johnny Bowman Chill Act,” in honor of current UC President Johnny F. Bowman ’11.

“I’d say the main thing we want to do is keep the positive energy surrounding our campaign about the UC up,” Ebrahim said. “We need to make sure the UC stays chill.”

COMEDY CENTRAL

Around 8:30 p.m., supporters of UC presidential candidate Collin A. Jones ’12 and vice presidential candidate Peter D. Davis ’12 gathered in front of University Hall for the College Events Board’s pep rally for this weekend’s Harvard-Yale football game.

Davis, an amateur comedian and member of the Harvard College Stand-Up Comics Society, performed a comedy set at the beginning of the pep assembly and proceeded to act as Master of Ceremonies throughout the event.

After visiting the Ebrahim-Cao gathering, members of the Election Commission informed the two losing tickets of the results by telephone. Later in the night, both of the defeated tickets stopped by their opponents’ victory party.

“We congratulate Senan and Bonnie for a well-run campaign,” said Tengbo Li ’12, who was running for vice president on a ticket with Matthew S. Coe-Odess ’12. “We were up against a tough opponent.”

Despite noting that their loss in the UC election was “a shocker for both of us,” Jones appeared relatively unfazed as election results became available.

“We congratulate Senan and Bonnie,” he said. “We feel confident that Ebrahim-Cao will be able to uphold the principles of democracy, safety, and bringing Harvard into the 21st century.”

Ebrahim indicated last night that he planned to begin delivering on that agenda by offering Jones the position of Executive Democratic Chair of Safety.

“Collin Jones can expect a senior position in our administration,” Ebrahim said.

UNDERSTATED AFFAIR

Coe-Odess and Li, who came in second in the presidential race, congregated in Coe-Odess’ neighbor’s room in Kirkland House with seven friends while awaiting the results. The tone of the Coe-Li party remained casual and intimate despite the significance of the occasion.

“It’s the biggest endeavor I’ve undertaken. I’m proud I put in the time and effort. I’m also proud of all the help and support we got,” Coe said. “I think the stronger ticket won, and we’re holding our heads high.”

—Staff writer Stephanie B. Garlock can be reached at sgarlock@college.harvard.edu.

—Sophie T. Bearman and Julie M. Zauzmer contributed to this article.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: November 20, 2010

An earlier version of the Nov. 19 news article "Candidates Gather With Campaign Staff, Friends to Celebrate Results" incorrectly stated that Undergraduate Council president-elect Senan Ebrahim ’12 and running mate Bonnie Cao ’12 celebrated with a bottle of champagne. In fact, it was apple cider.

Undergraduate Council