Crimson Wins Its Fourth Straight

By Dennis J. Zheng, Crimson Staff Writer

A long winter spent training indoors has quickly paid dividends for the Harvard women’s golf team.

A week after traveling to Florida over spring break to play outdoors for the first time since the fall season, the Crimson returned to the Sunshine State this weekend for another dual match and took home yet another victory—the squad’s fourth straight.

Harvard downed Lynn University, 298-326, Saturday afternoon at Boca Woods Country Club in Boca Raton, Fla., following up last Thursday’s win over the University of Central Florida.

“I was curious to see, after being home for a week and not getting to practice every day, if we could continue over some of the work we did over spring break, and we did that very well,” Crimson coach Kevin Rhoads said.

The 6,050-yard, par-72 Lakes Course was less tricky than others on which the team had practiced down south, and it showed, as all five of the Crimson’s top scorers broke the 80-stroke barrier.

Four scores were counted in the team event.

Captain Claire Sheldon had the lowest total overall with an even-par 72—also her season low.

“I actually played with her on Friday, and her game looks very, very good right now,” Rhoads said. “She’s the farthest along coming out of the winter that I’ve ever seen her.”

Though Sheldon emphasized a need to continue working on her short game, she echoed her coach’s glowing evaluation of her play.

“I’m hitting the ball well, and my swing feels good,” Sheldon said. “At this point in the season, that gives me a lot of confidence. I feel like I didn’t lose ground over the winter—if anything, I improved my swing.”

Sophomore Jane Lee and freshman Katie Sylvan each turned in a three-over 75, tying for second.

After impressing her coach with a second-place performance last week, Lee continued to prove that it wasn’t a fluke.

“It’s not a surprise anymore,” Rhoads said. “It’s just the level she’s playing at right now. Her game looks solid, it looks repetitive...the results are speaking for themselves.”

Lee credited a newfound mental strength which has brought improvement in her second year of competition.

“Even though some of my shots weren’t so great, I always felt in control of my game,” Lee said. “I never got flustered or worried. It was actually one of the most relaxed rounds I’ve had since I’ve been at Harvard.”

A native of San Diego, Calif., the rookie Sylvan has faced a different sort of challenge in getting accustomed to a variety of climates, including a winter in Cambridge spent indoors.

“You always wonder the first time when someone hasn’t taken a break, and then they do take a big break, how will they react when they come out?” Rhoads said. “Obviously she’s reacted very well.”

Right behind Lee and Sylvan was sophomore Christine Cho, who fired a 76—one stroke better than Maha Haddioui, who had the lowest score amongst Fighting Knight golfers with a 77.

Crimson freshman Chloe Atlchek rounded out her team’s scoring with an 86, while Lynn had three players record rounds of 83 and a fourth one stroke behind.

In addition to the team play, each school had individuals participate as well.

Harvard junior Mia Kabasakalis and senior Sarah Harvey finished with scores of 77 and 82, respectively.

The Fighting Knights’ best individual performer was Ai Kongpaisarnnatee, who recorded a 79.

The Crimson will now prepare for a shorter trip, as it will travel to Cape Cod this Saturday to battle Dartmouth and Brown.

The shift back to playing in the conditions of the Northeast—adjusting to more layers of clothing and varying ball flights—will be critical for the rest of the season, but Rhoads expressed confidence in his team’s attitude.

“If we’re doing our job, we tend to be very good at thinking about things correctly, about trying to control what we can control,” Rhoads said. “If we keep that idea in mind, I think the transition will be fine.”

With the Ivy League Championships less than a month away, timing now becomes everything. Rhoads stressed the importance of ensuring his team is playing its best when the stakes are highest.

“Golf likes to cycle,” Rhoads said. “To be at our peak cycle right now would be dangerous for Ivies. If we’re in the middle of our cycle, then that’s a good thing. Everything’s going to be about how hard we work, and how well we work, between now and Ivies.”

—Staff writer Dennis J. Zheng can be reached at dzheng12@college.harvard.edu.

Women's Golf