Cambridge Police Arrest 15 in Citywide Sweep

By Kerry M. Flynn, Crimson Staff Writer

The Cambridge Police Department, in cooperation with Somerville police and Mass. State Police, made 15 arrests in a citywide warrant sweep last Thursday.

The sweep, dubbed “Operation March Madness,” began at 5 a.m. and concluded at noon.

Of the 15 arrests, six were for violent offenses, including armed robbery and armed assaults. Four people were arrested for larcenies.

Two were for drug possession and distribution, and three were arrested for driving offenses, according to the Cambridge police.

Cambridge police conduct large sweeps at least once a year and some additional sweeps throughout the year are done on a smaller scale, said Daniel M. Riviello, the spokesperson for the department.

“Lots of warrants build up so large sweeps become necessary,” Riviello said. “It is our obligation to make these arrests.”

The operation was conducted by a team of over 30 detectives, a special response entry team, crisis negotiators, and crime scene services, according to Riviello.

Police spread throughout the city to make the arrests during the seven-hour sweep. Police made six arrests between 6 and 7 a.m.

All but one of the individuals were Cambridge residents, and one of the apprehended people did not have a known address.

The occurrence of sweeps varies depending on availability of personnel and knowledge in the department.

“I think part of it is based on manpower and having the intelligence of where people are at a certain time,” Riviello said.

One officer suffered a minor injury in his leg during a forced entry.

The defendant was charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct in addition to warrants for assault and battery and larceny.

—Staff writer Kerry M. Flynn can be reached at kflynn@college.harvard.edu.

CrimeCambridgeCambridge Police