Women's Soccer Looks to Continue Recent Offensive Onslaught Against BU

By Andrew Farber, Contributing Writer

The Harvard women’s soccer team will look to do something that no other team has been able to do thus far this season: score against Boston University at Nickerson Field.

The Crimson (6-3-1, 2-0-0 Ivy) will face perhaps its toughest opponent on Tuesday night, as it heads across the river to play the Terriers (8-3-1, 3-1-0 Patriot) in its final non-conference match-up.

Harvard has been hot lately, winning six straight games, but will face a rolling Boston University squad that has won six of its last seven contests.

The Terriers have held opponents to 0.42 goals a game on the season. Something will have to give Tuesday night, however, as the Crimson’s offense is averaging an impressive two goals per contest.

It will be up to star freshmen forwards Midge Purce and Karly Zlatic to break through Boston University’s ironclad defense, as the freshmen look to continue their strong starts to the season.

“The freshman class as a whole has added a lot and contributed a lot both on the field and off the bench,” co-captain Peyton Johnson said. “Midge and Karly have shown a lot of experience in putting away their goals as they did this weekend against Yale.”

Purce leads Harvard with 13 points on the year and scored a late goal against Yale on Saturday. Her score silenced the Bulldog crowd, clinching yet another Ivy League win for the Crimson, 3-1.

“I think that the freshmen are getting even more confident as the year goes on, putting them in an even better position to contribute for us,” Johnson said.

Meanwhile, Zlatic was named the Ivy League Co-Rookie of the Week, the conference announced Monday. Zlatic posted the game-winner against Yale, giving her six points on the season.

“Everyone contributes in such different ways to the team,” Purce said. “Everyone’s role is equally important and we all make it easier on each other to succeed.”

The role of Harvard’s defense has been another key to the team’s success thus far. The Crimson is allowing a mere 0.78 goals, with three goalkeepers, freshman Lizzie Durack, junior Bethany Kanten, and junior Cheta Emba all seeing equal action in net.

Harvard’s defense has even sparked much of its potent offense, with freshman Bailey Gary and sophomore Alika Keene making significant contributions.

“We are going to play to the best of our abilities and leave everything that we have out on the field,” Purce said. “That’s the expectation every time we step onto the field.”

While the Crimson’s keepers haven’t seen much action this season, Tuesday should prove to be much different. The Terriers are led by senior forward Madison Clemens, who is a dynamic force up-front. The preseason Patriot League Offensive Player of the Year recently netted two goals against Holy Cross in a 3-0 victory.

But Clemens, whose performance earned her Patriot League Offensive Player of the Week, isn’t the only player that Harvard will have to worry about.

Boston University features its own freshman phenom, Erica Kosienski. Kosienski is a three time Patriot League Rookie of the Week and has already scored three game-winning goals this year.

In a contest that is destined to showcase much offensive firepower from both sides, Harvard has remained more focused on its own play, rather than that of the Terriers.

“I think that we are largely going to try and work on ourselves,” Johnson said. “Our objectives and mentality are going to be focusing on our own goals and our own strengths and trying to hone those going forward in the season.”

Though the Crimson hasn’t beaten Boston University since a 1-0 win in double overtime in 2007, the team is focused on approaching Tuesday nights contest like any other.

“It is largely just going to be a game like any other soccer game,” said Johnson. “We are going to take a chance today to look at video from this weekend and think about what we need to work on better and take care of business and give a full effort.”

Harvard will put its win streak on the line, as the seniors get one final chance to down the Terriers before they graduate. While the game has no effect on its Ancient Eight record, a win would carry a lot of momentum heading into match-up at Cornell on Oct. 12.

“At this point in the season, every win you can get is a huge one and this will be no different,” Johnson said. “I hope that we can come out with a lot of emotion, just as we brought this weekend and continue that going towards our game tomorrow night.”

PreviewsWomen's Soccer