Op Eds

A Letter to the Class of 2017

By Mathilde A. Montpetit

Eight frantic freshmen stand in a room, huddled together, running occasionally to the window to stare at the writhing mass of upperclassmen mobbing in front of John Harvard. These Housing Day veterans scream indecipherable slogans and look about as close to football hooligans as Harvard students ever do. They’re scared—you’re scared!—and someone says, decisively, “Anything but…”

Housing Day can often seem so incredibly gargantuan as an event that it’s easy to forget all of the amazing, important things you’ve already done. You’ve taken your first college finals. You’ve navigated the social minefield of Annenberg in September and shivered in the cold of New Haven to watch your football team win for the seventh time in a row (which just so happens to be the second-longest winning streak ever). You’ve laughed, you’ve cried, and you’ve found a small group of people to join you on this seemingly terrifying journey to House life.

But we’re not here to talk about how amazing you are (which is pretty amazing). We’re here to talk about how much we love our Houses. We want you to be excited—not scared—come tomorrow. As much as you’ve found your blocking group to accompany you into upperclassmen life, you’re about to be welcomed into a blocking group of around 300, and they’re all thrilled to meet you.

People have been telling you lots of things about the Houses, and it’s hard to know whom to trust. For most of your freshman year, you’ll have heard getting quadded is roughly equivalent to getting sent to Siberia, and you’re starting to believe it. But then again, some kid in your Ec 10 section told you that most people on the River have, like, four people in one bedroom and all their stuff gets stolen by giant mutant rats, so: Who’s right?

Despite all those rumors, we hope you’ll listen to us, because we’ve all been in your shoes. We’ve had those frantic conversations over dinner in Annenberg, endured the relentless drama of blocking, and panicked that this single, merciless algorithm would determine the next three years of our lives. And not only did we make it through to the other side unscathed, but we also made it there triumphant, and so excited to wake up at 7 a.m. to show you guys just how much we love our Houses.

We all have different reasons, too.

For example, when it’s snowing or raining, simply hop on your personal shuttle service—the Mather Express. It’ll get you home to your single in less than 10 minutes. Enjoy a meal with fellow Matherites while gazing out floor-to-ceiling windows in the dining hall made famous by the house’s annual foam party, Mather Lather.

To relax after a long and tiring week, Lowell Tea is the perfect place to enjoy freshly baked treats with your friends and the rest of the Lowell community.

Currier’s central dining hall and entrance means having a friend in the d-hall at all times of day and night, most likely in their pajamas.

In Leverett, you’ll be in the biggest house with the best views in th newest rooms on campus. Also, monkey bread.

On top of three formals and back-gate access to the Charles River, every Eliotite graduates with a diploma frame made in the wood shop, keeping a piece of Eliot with them as they move on to the next chapter in their lives.

Winthrop’s amazing tutors and vibrant d-hall culture make walking in the House at the end of the long day feel like coming home.

Kirkland celebrates the holiday season in epic fashion with its infamous “Secret Santa” week, hosts some incredible artists for Cultural Rhythms in its stunning JCR, stands as current defender of the Straus Cup, and can claim Mark Zuckerberg as a former resident.

Whether it’s in the gorgeous dining hall, the basement grill, or Masters’ open houses, the mouthwatering food at Dunster brings together all Dunsterites to form a spirited and inseparable community. Plus, the rooms are sweet.

Find bliss at all times in Quincy: find it in your friends from other houses during dinner, in your CS50 study group during brain break, and in your golden, gooey, Quincy Grille mozzarella sticks at 2 a.m.

In Adams House, students look forward to a chance to Carpe every Noctem, to schmooze it up with all of their housemates at Drag Nights, Winter Feasts, and renowned in-house Formals, and—most importantly of all—to fall in love with the community that thrives within Adams’s historic golden walls.

Sometime between kicking off your weekend at Pfoho Pfridays, hanging with pfriends in the two-level d-hall, and getting pfancy for Croquet or Pformal, you’ll realize that Pforzheimer is more than a house: It’s a home.

Cabot’s inclusive and entrepreneurial spirit creates an atmosphere where you can share your thoughts, hopes, and dreams at weekly Cabot Sharing, and start your own business (see: Cabot Café), arts space, or classical music group. Cabotians write their own stories.

But any House, no matter the facilities or the location or anything else, is made incredibly special by the people in it. That sounds clichéd, but we promise that it’s true. You (yes, you!) have a chance to make your Harvard experience something special, and your House is here to help you do it. No matter how you feel when those upperclassmen barge into your room, you’ll probably be right beside them next year, covered in face paint or wearing a silly outfit, ready to tell next year’s freshmen that your House is by far the best one on campus.

We can’t wait to meet you!

To Siberia, mutant rats, and living eight-to-a-room,

Your House Committee Chairs

Mathilde A. Montpetit ‘15, a social studies concentrator, is co-chair of the Winthrop House Committee. This piece is a collaboration between the House Committee co-chairs of the 12 undergraduate Houses who sit on the House Committee Council. Each of the 12 Houses participated in the piece’s creation and formation.

Op Eds