Harvard Today: February 11, 2015

•

Happy Wednesday, Harvard! We hope you enjoyed your 4 day weekend. Hypothetically, all these snow days should’ve given you the time to finish the work you’ve been neglecting since shopping week, but no one actually thinks college students are really using their days off for work. At least you won’t be the only one that shows up to your section claiming ‘I thought we were going to have another snow day’ as the reason you haven’t done any of the readings.

Today’s forecast calls for single-digit windchill (boo). On the upside, it shouldn’t be snowing, so at least the wind won’t be blowing snow into your face when you have to brave the cold.

Lunch:

Popcorn Chicken

Green Garbanzo Falafel Sandwich

Spicy Potato Pierogies

Dinner:

Beef Meatballs in Marinara Sauce

Memphis Style Roasted Chicken

Vegan “Meat”balls

Flyby:

What You Actually Learn at Harvard — Some of the lifelong skills you’ll learn at this prestigious institution of higher learning.

In the News:

For Second Consecutive Day, Most Harvard Schools Will Close — “As many Harvard schools cancel classes Tuesday for the third time in as many weeks—only its fourth snow day since one in 1978—administrators have begun to consider ways to compensate for lost instructional time.”

Faculty Discuss Potential Arts Spaces in Allston — “Faculty and administrators in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences' Arts and Humanities Division are working with the University's Allston planning groups in hopes of securing space across the river for more modern art-making facilities.”

HUDS Debuts ‘Catch of the Day’ Fish Program — “Harvard University Dining Services has started serving fish from local vendor Red’s Best in dining halls for lunch on Fridays under a program it calls the ‘Catch of the Day.’ ”

In Sports:

No. 3 Men's Squash Captures Ivy League Title — “The No. 3 Harvard men’s squash team (8-2, 7-0 Ivy) competed against two Ivy League rivals this weekend in the final conference games to determine the Ivy League championship title.”

Men's Fencing Takes Ivy Crown, Women's Team Finishes Second — “After 20 seconds of waiting, Chang caught his opponent mid-lunge with an attack of his own, clinching the final point for the Crimson in a thrilling 14-13 win over Princeton and giving Harvard men’s team (11-3, 4-1 Ivy) a share of the Ivy League title.”

Events

OCS Summer Funding Deadline — The deadline for turning in summer funding applications is 4:30pm today. Applications must be turned in to the OCS in person.

Brandon Stanton — A conversation with the creator of Humans of New York at the JFK Junior Forum at 6pm. Tickets were lotteried, but you may be able to find someone that got a ticket and now can’t make it.

Harvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.