Harvard Today: May 1, 2015

•
Student organizers from Harvard Law School assembled a vigil for Freddie Gray on Tuesday night in front of Langdell Hall. Gray died on April 12th after being detained by police forces in Baltimore and suffering spinal cord injury.

Student organizers from Harvard Law School assembled a vigil for Freddie Gray on Tuesday night in front of Langdell Hall. Gray died on April 12th after being detained by police forces in Baltimore and suffering spinal cord injury. By Anneli L. Tostar

Happy Friday, Harvard! Does it even matter that it’s Friday, considering the fact that nobody ever knows what day it is during reading period? Anyways, we hope you’re either getting lots of work done, or preemptively set low goals so you don’t disappoint yourself when all you did was enjoy the good weather outside and touched none of your work. The motto of reading period is eat, sleep, watch TV, and repeat, right?

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

It’s a bit colder today, cloudy with a high of 51 degrees. The weekend though is supposed to be super sunny and warm, so look forward to it!

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch

Catch of the Day

Orange Zesty Pork and Noodles

Roasted Eggplant, Pepper & Squash Panini

Dinner

Chicken Panaeng Curry

Lemongrass & Basil Mussels

Thai Red Vegetable Curry with Tofu

ON FLYBY

1) Blake Lively Wants to Go to Harvard: Blake Lively might be gracing her presence on this campus!?

2) Definitive and Totally Not Arbitrary Ranking of the 2015 Formals: So many formals, so little time.

3) PSA: VES Open Studios on Friday: Check it out today!

IN THE NEWS

1) Harvard Faculty Donate to Democrats by Wide Margin: “Eighty-four percent of campaign contributions made by a group of 614 Harvard faculty, instructors, and researchers between 2011 and the third quarter of 2014 went to federal Democratic campaigns and political action committees.”

2) Millennials Report Little Faith in Justice System, IOP Poll Shows: “Nearly half of young Americans reported little or no confidence that the criminal justice system treats individuals equally regardless of race or ethnicity, according to new findings of a national poll conducted by the Institute of Politics.”

3) HUDS Workers Rally for 2016 Labor Negotiations: “Harvard University Dining Services workers, along with the UNITE HERE Local 26 union and other organizations, hosted a rally around the Smith Center outdoor plaza on Tuesday to launch their campaign for a new labor contract with Harvard Campus Services.”

4) Summer Playbook Goes Live for Summer 2015: “Summer Playbook—a web-based student initiative that displays Ivy League students' summer locations—will launch its “base map” Friday, enabling the roughly 1,500 college students who have signed up thus far to meet and interact with each other.”

5) Institute of Politics Website Hacked: “The Institute of Politics’ website was temporarily taken over Wednesday in what was allegedly a cyber-attack by pro-Palestinian hacker group “AnonGhost,” whose insignia replaced the site’s usual patriotic images for roughly 35 minutes.”

EVENTS

DAPA and SHARC are hosting a Food Truck Festival from 12 to 3 p.m. today in the Mac Quad. There will be free food, music, bungee runs, and more!

The Life Sciences Spring Bash is today from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Biolabs courtyard. There will be free food, baby animals, and free t-shirts!

The VES Thesis Show: The Distribution of Parts is today from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Carpenter Center. It is free and open to the public.

Harvard VoxJazz is having a concert on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in Adolphus Busch Hall.

The Bach Society Orchestra is having its 60th Anniversary concert on Saturday at 8 p.m. in Paine Hall. Tickets are $10 for students.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Collegium Musicum presents Battle Hymns on Saturday at 8 p.m. in Sanders Theater. Student tickets are $8 and $10.

The 20th Annual Harvard Powwow is on Sunday from 1 to 6 p.m. in Radcliffe Yard. This event is free and open to the public.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.