BRIEF: Field Hockey Posts Back-To-Back Shutout Victories

By Amanda X. Fang, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard field hockey team (3-2) recorded two consecutive shutout triumphs over the weekend, winning 1-0 against Northeastern (2-6) and 3-0 against Colgate (0-8). These games are the last before the Crimson readies to play their first Ivy League contest of the year against Yale.

HARVARD 3, COLGATE 0

The Crimson amped-up their offense in its game against Colgate by outshooting the Raiders 32-3. Jacobson continued to score goals for Harvard, racking two to her name as well as assisting on the only other goal. Jacobson also only needed 82 seconds before finding the back of the Colgate net.

Junior forward Marissa Balleza continued on her victory streak, slotting in her fifth goal of the year. At the 8:59 time mark, Balleza tipped in the ball after an assist from Jacobson. This goal being Balleza’s 26th goal in less than three seasons, she moves up into seventh place on the career scoring list for the Crimson. She was joined on the scoreboard by freshman forward Kathleen Young, which was Young’s second career goal of the season.

HARVARD 1, NORTHEASTERN 0

Harvard broke the stalemate against the Huskies late in the first half with a goal from back and co-captain Elizabeth Jacobson. Jacobson scored the only goal of the match after stealing the ball from a Northeastern player right in front of the net in the 33rd minute. The goal was also Jacobson’s second of the season.

The Crimson was not only active on offense but also on the defense end. Senior goalkeeper Issy Davies blocked six shots in her second career shut out and first shutout of the year. On offense, Harvard had twice as many shots on goal as their Husky opponents with 14.

—Staff writer Amanda X. Fang can be reached at amandafang@college.harvard.edu.

Sports BriefsField Hockey