Softball Picks Up Four Wins at Loyola Marymount Tournament

By Jack Stockless, Crimson Staff Writer

Offensive contributions from a variety of hitters and dominant pitching from both the starters and the bullpen led Harvard softball (8-6) to four wins at the Loyola Marymount Tournament in Los Angeles, Calif.

“Every single game was a real team effort,” senior Rachel Halperin said. “Our coach has been moving people around a lot. It’s a really dynamic lineup.”

LOYOLA MARYMOUNT 6, HARVARD 4

The Crimson concluded the tournament with a loss against the host Lions (17-8) as Loyola Marymount jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the first four innings behind eight hits, including three doubles.

Lions junior Rachael Farrington shut out Harvard in the game’s first six innings before sophomore Maddy Kaplan ripped a two-RBI single in the seventh, which was quickly followed by a two-run home run off the bat of junior Catherine Callaway.

The last-inning comeback fell short, however, as Harvard was unable to overcome Loyola Marymount’s six-run lead.

HARVARD 5, FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON 2

Two doubles and three runs batted in from Callaway provided the offensive spark that pushed the Crimson past Fairleigh Dickinson (2-10) for the second straight game.

Captain Morgan Groom was one out away from recording a complete-game win. The senior from Lowell, Mich. struck out 10 Knights, a career high, while only allowing two runs to cross the plate.

“I think [junior] Taylor Cabe and Groom have been really great,” Halperin said. “They’re very consistent, and I think that has allowed the offense to really lock in and win some games for us, too.”

HARVARD 6, FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON 1

Freshman Meagan Lantz went deep twice and drove in four, leading Harvard to its third win in Los Angeles. The pair of home runs were the first in the Parkland, Fla. native’s collegiate career.

Cabe improved her record to 6-2 with another win in the circle. In her third appearance of the tournament, the righthander tossed five shutout innings, allowing only two hits and striking out three.

Harvard took advantage of its offensive opportunities in its first game against Fairleigh Dickinson, only stranding two runners throughout the game.

MONMOUTH 6, HARVARD 5

Harvard entered the bottom of the seventh inning with a one-run lead, needing only three outs to defeat Monmouth (8-7) for the second time in Los Angeles. Instead, the Hawks rallied in the final frame, plating two runs and earning a walk-off victory.

A passed ball and a throwing error allowed Monmouth freshman Jasmine Higa to cross the plate with the winning run.

Three of Harvard’s runs came off the bat of senior Haley Davis, who hit a three-run home run in the second inning, her first round-tripper of the season.

HARVARD 5, LOYOLA MARYMOUNT 3

A triple from Callaway in the top of the seventh was the deciding factor in the Crimson’s first contest against Loyola Marymount.

The second baseman took a pitch from Lions junior Andy Wellins and ripped it into right field, and junior Savannah Bradley and freshman Rhianna Rich came around to score the go-ahead runs.

Cabe pitched seven strong innings to earn the win against the Lions. The Boiling Springs, S.C. native struck out six and only walked one.

Harvard piled up 11 hits, including three doubles and a triple. Callaway, junior Giana Panariello, and Davis each had two hits.

“Not only do we have nine people in the lineup that can perform, but we also have people on the bench who provide for us in tough situations,” Groom said. “Offensively, we’re very all-around as a team.”

HARVARD 5, MONMOUTH 4

In the Crimson’s first game of the Loyola Marymount Tournament, Harvard scraped out a one-run win against Monmouth.

Both teams had four-run innings earlier in the game, but it was an RBI single in the fourth frame by Rich that put the Crimson on top for good.

Captain Zoe Galindo was three-for-three with a double and two runs batted in.

Cabe notched her first of three wins in Los Angeles with a three-inning relief effort. The righthander only allowed one baserunner in her three innings of work.

–Staff writer Jack Stockless can be reached at jackstockless@college.harvard.edu.

SoftballGame Stories