Men's Lacrosse Snaps Losing Streak Against Dartmouth

By Will V Robbins, Crimson Staff Writer

Traveling to New Hampshire, the Harvard men’s lacrosse team got back to its winning ways, doubling up Dartmouth, 14-7.

The win snapped a three-game losing streak after the Crimson (5-3, 1-1 Ivy) started the season 4-0. Harvard led in almost every statistical category at Scully-Fahey Field in Hanover, New Hampshire. The Crimson has now won five of its last six meetings with the Big Green (1-6, 0-1 Ivy), and leads the overall series 48-39-1.

“I thought that the team came out with a lot of energy, and we really imposed our will on them right off the opening whistle,” head coach Chris Wojcik said. “I thought that we executed really well—scored goals right out of the gate, and built a lead. Overall I thought we executed in every phase—goalie, defense, clearing, face off. On offense we really moved the ball well, and capitalized on our scoring chances.”

Harvard limited Dartmouth to 11 successful clears on 18 attempts. Dartmouth’s 61 percent success rate on clears was the lowest the Crimson ride has forced in any game this year.

“Probably the biggest positive of the day was our riding,” Wojcik said. “Our players gave great effort. A big part of riding is just effort and hustle. Our attack did a really good job of getting back and taking away the short stick options. In the midfield I thought we were aggressive at the right times to step up and force turnovers. Overall we did a really good job as a riding unit.”

Junior attackman Morgan Cheek had his way with the Big Green’s defense, scoring four goals of his own and assisting on four others. Harvard’s offensive star certainly returned to form Saturday afternoon.

“I thought Morgan made the players around him better,” Wojcik said. “I thought he was very unselfish, and he moved the ball really well. When it was time for him to dodge, or shoot, he did a really good job of being opportunistic…He had a great game making his teammates better.”

Freshman middie Nigel Andrews had his first multi-goal game of his career, scoring two goals on as many shots. His classmate, attackman Ryan Graff set a career-high with four goals.

Harvard’s man-down unit had an outstanding game, holding Dartmouth scoreless on seven extra-man opportunities, while the Crimson surrendered only seven goals Saturday evening, tying a season low.

After a tumultuous stretch of three games, Harvard looks to have regained momentum heading into Wednesday’s matchup against No. 9 Albany. The Crimson defense will have its hands full with the No. 1 scoring offense in college lacrosse—the Great Danes average 16.5 goals per game.

Men's LacrosseGame Stories