No. 19 Harvard Football to Face the Big Red on Friday

Junior quarterback Charles DePrima attempts to slip past Brown defense during Harvard's Sept. 22nd game against the Bears. The Crimson defeated the Bears 34-31 after a back-and-forth wrestle for board.
Junior quarterback Charles DePrima attempts to slip past Brown defense during Harvard's Sept. 22nd game against the Bears. The Crimson defeated the Bears 34-31 after a back-and-forth wrestle for board. By Angela Dela Cruz
By Jack Canavan, Nadia A. Fairfax, and Praveen Kumar, Crimson Staff Writers

No. 19/21 Harvard — one of the three still-undefeated squads in the FCS — is gearing up to dive back into Ivy League play against Cornell this Friday night.

Harvard’s impressive 38-28 win on the road against then-No. 5/6 Holy Cross last weekend was more than just a game for the Crimson. In addition to being Harvard’s first win against the No. 25/RV Crusaders since Oct. 2, 2021, it was also the Crimson’s highest ranked win since defeating No. 11 Yale on Nov. 17, 2007.

“It felt good,” said junior quarterback Charles Deprima about the team’s win against Holy Cross. “Right before the game, [I said] to the guys, ‘we’re treating this like any other week,’ so [it’s] just another win in the column, so [we’re] just moving on to this week now.”

For his performance against Holy Cross, sophomore defensive back A.J. Lopez was crowned the FedEx Ground FCS National Defensive Player of the Week and the Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week. He had five tackles, an interception that he returned for a touchdown, and one forced fumble.

“To be honest, I [didn’t feel] like both of those awards were for myself, but I feel like it was a team effort to get those awards,” reflected Lopez about the recent recognition he’s gotten both on the Ivy League and national level. “I wasn’t the only one out on the field — we won as a team, and I appreciate being in the right spot at the right time.”

Lopez also echoed Harvard’s strong play and team chemistry in the victory against Holy Cross.

“I felt as though that told us a lot about our team,” he continued. “That we can go out and compete at a higher level against anybody, we just have to come in and do our job. If we come in and do our job, we’ll be successful against anybody we play.”

Despite the excitement from last week’s upset, staying grounded and focusing on every next game continues to play a constant role in Harvard’s preparation and execution.

As the offense prepares to face Cornell, DePrima emphasized the importance of focused preparation.

“Just focusing on the game plan no matter what and preparing just like it’s any other week. Opponents change, game plans change, attitudes change, so you just got to make sure you’re staying focused no matter what,” the quarterback said.

On the defensive side of the ball, Lopez further elaborated on the approach towards Cornell:

“In terms of uniqueness, I would say nothing crazy.” Lopez stressed, “The preparation is to come and do our job. If we do our job at a high level, we can beat Cornell, we can beat anybody we play.”

Harvard, ranked at No. 19 in the AFCA Coaches Poll, currently holds its highest spot in the coaches ranking since it secured No. 16 on Oct. 18, 2021 and is eager to break that mark.

Going into the matchup against Cornell, head coach Tim Murphy sits on the verge of tying the Ivy League record for the most conference victories. Meanwhile, the rest of the team is vigorously preparing to face Cornell, bringing their A-game to the field, and aiming to continue their undefiled winning streak.

“Cornell brings a lot every year,” said DePrima about what the team is working on in preparation against Cornell. “It’s definitely an important preparation, especially with the short week. It’s just important that we’re studying film, doing what we can to make sure that we’re sharp going into Friday.”

Hoping to maintain its untainted record and carve a 4-0 start for the first time since 2021, and only the second time since 2017, the Crimson is looking to further solidify its position not only in the rankings but also in the annals of Ivy League football history. The anticipation is palpable, and as Friday approaches, all eyes will be on this formidable squad as they face off against the Big Red.

Harvard will kickoff against Cornell at 7:00 p.m EST on Friday at Harvard Stadium. The game will be streamed on ESPN2.

— Staff writer Jack Canavan can be reached at jack.canavan@thecrimson.com.

— Staff writer Nadia A. Fairfax can be reached at nadia.fairfax@thecrimson.com.

PreviewsFootball