Harvard Finds its Rhythm, Opens Season 5-2

Then-sophomore guard Harmoni Turner dribbles the ball in the Great Eight game against Columbia on March 26, at which Harvard fell to Lions 77-71. Turner was a critical player for the Crimson last season, leading Harvard in scoring.
Then-sophomore guard Harmoni Turner dribbles the ball in the Great Eight game against Columbia on March 26, at which Harvard fell to Lions 77-71. Turner was a critical player for the Crimson last season, leading Harvard in scoring. By Courtesy of Dylan Goodman/Harvard Athletics
By Molly R. Malague, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s basketball team returned to Cambridge this week after three straight road games took them to Texas and then California for the Coast 2 Coast San Diego Classic. Staying in New England for a few weeks, the team is confident that its momentum will only continue to build – no matter their matchups.

The 2023-2024 campaign tipped off with a 98-75 loss at 14th ranked Maryland. Harvard was outscored 31-11 in the first frame, but battled tenaciously for the next three. Through quarters two to four, the Crimson netted only three fewer points than the Terrapins. In her first collegiate performance, freshman Abigail Wright recorded 12 points and 7 rebounds. Classmate Mary Hollensteiner chipped in six more, with two steals to boot. Leading the way were captains Lola Mullaney and Harmoni Turner with 17 and 18 points respectively.

After this opening loss, Harvard trounced three New England neighbors in Boston College, Quinnipiac University, and University of Massachusetts. The team found its rhythm, outscoring those squads 229-157.

During the 78-57 domination of UMass, Turner joined the 1,000 point club with 22 points. Just a junior, the Texas native boasts the 12th highest scoring average in the nation, bagging 22.3 points each game. With five rebounds and five assists per game, it is no wonder Coach Carrie Moore has her averaging 37 minutes on the hardwood each night.

“The coaches reiterated to me that my minutes would be going up this year,” Turner said. “So it was my responsibility to stay in shape and be in shape for the entirety of the season.”

Turner was in good enough shape to put together a 29 point performance at Baylor over a complete 40 minutes on the floor. Harvard put up two of its biggest quarters of the season during its first-ever matchup with the nation’s 21st ranked team; it tallied over 20 points in the second and fourth quarters. However, it was not quite enough to topple the Bears. Harvard gave the powerhouse a game buzzer to buzzer, but ultimately fell 81-71.

“We understand that Baylor is a good team, but we are also a good team, so we went in pretty confident,” Turner said. “Confident that if we meet them again it will be a different outcome.”

Turner points to preparation as the key to the team’s confidence in itself.

“It comes down to us understanding how good we are as a team,” she added. “We know that we put in the work and the preparation to prepare for our opponents each game.”

Then-first-year guard Elle Stauffer attempts a three-pointer against then-first-year guard Elena Rodriguez in Harvard’s annual Crimson Madness game on Oct. 15, 2021.
Then-first-year guard Elle Stauffer attempts a three-pointer against then-first-year guard Elena Rodriguez in Harvard’s annual Crimson Madness game on Oct. 15, 2021. By Zing Gee

This preparation was on full display as Harvard bounced back during last weekend’s Thanksgiving tournament in San Diego. The Crimson left the arena having won both games; it defeated the North Dakota State Bison 69-64 and the Perunas of Southern Methodist University 80-67.

Sharp-shooter Elena Rodriguez came to play in the first game, landing 70% of her shots from the field en route to a 19 point contribution. She also added six rebounds, six assists, and four blocks.

Against SMU, the steady duo of Turner and Mullaney was joined by sophomore Katie Kruppa in double digit scoring. They combined for 65 points, just one bucket shy of the Perunas full squad production. Wright added 8 points.

As the season heats up, the Crimson will pair thorough preparation with diligence and discipline.

“Eliminating all of the excuses regardless,” Turner explained. “Everyone plays a key role on the team and the perspective that we all have to live up to to reach our end goal which is winning a championship”

All of these principles are generating powerful momentum; shooting 43% as a team, and averaging 14 assists per game, Harvard women’s basketball is on track for another successful campaign.

The Crimson will take the floor in Lavietes Pavilion this Saturday against the 6-1 Michigan Wolverines. Tip-off is at 2:00.

-Staff writer Molly Malague can be reached at molly.malague@thecrimson.com

Women's Basketball