Harvard Law School and Paul, Weiss Launch ‘Future Leaders in Law’ Pre-Law Program

Harvard Law School and law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP are collaborating to launch a fellowship aimed at first-generation and low-income pre-law students.
Harvard Law School and law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP are collaborating to launch a fellowship aimed at first-generation and low-income pre-law students. By Ryan N. Gajarawala
By Neil H. Shah, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard Law School is partnering with law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP to launch a new pre-law fellowship program targeting first-generation and low-income participants, the school announced in a press release Wednesday.

The yearlong fellowship, called “Future Leaders in Law,” will kick off with its first cohort in July. Participants will begin the program with a weeklong stay at the Law School, where they will also visit Paul, Weiss’ New York City headquarters.

The program will also provide fellows with access to LSAT prep resources and mentors affiliated with the Law School.

“The Future Leaders in Law program is the latest example of Harvard Law School’s longstanding commitment to developing more ways to make legal education attainable for students from every background and, in doing so, enabling them to pursue their highest aspirations while further expanding excellence in law schools and throughout the legal profession,” Law School Dean John F. Manning ’82 said in the release.

The program, which will cover all participation-related costs for fellows and provide them with a $3,000 stipend, is open for application to current college juniors and seniors, as well as recent college graduates.

Fellows will also participate in a monthly “Empowerment Seminars” from January to May, which will offer workshops and other opportunities that aim to better prepare participants for applying to law programs.

In the release, Monica E. Monroe — the Law School’s assistant dean for community engagement, equity, and belonging — said the purpose of the program is “to ignite excitement about law as a career path.”

“Harvard Law School is committed to the idea that broadening the legal profession is integral to its future success, and I am delighted to be part of this newest effort to support a diverse array of applicants to U.S. law schools,” she added.

In the release, Paul, Weiss Chairman Brad S. Karp spoke about the importance of the “unique life experiences, talents, and viewpoints” of lawyers at his firm.

“We are proud to partner with Harvard Law School on this critically important initiative that will provide the next generation of diverse lawyers with access to world-class education,” Karp said.

—Staff writer Neil H. Shah can be reached at neil.shah@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @neilhshah15.

Harvard Law SchoolUniversityCareers Front Middle FeatureFeatured ArticlesFirst Generation Low Income