In Photos: The 51st Annual An Evening with Champions

By Sarah G. Erickson
By Sarah G. Erickson

Gabriella V. Izzo ’24, a 2022 U.S. Olympic alternate, spins with Thierry Ferland, 2018 Canadian junior national pairs champion, in a death spiral. An Evening with Champions brings together Harvard alumni and skaters from around the world.

Caitlyn C. Kukulowicz ’27, the 2022 Ontario Sectional junior champion, gracefully glides across the ice. In just over 50 years, An Evening with Champions has raised more than $3 million for The Jimmy Fund, which supports cancer research and treatment.

Ryan Dunk, 2019 junior national champion, performs as Freddie Mercury in a Queen tribute skate.

By Sarah G. Erickson

Jack Liu, a high schooler and Boston-based featured performer in the show, reaches towards the audience in an energetic skate. After seeing Olympic Gold Medalist Evan Lysacek perform at An Evening with Champions, Liu was inspired to begin skating. In a full circle moment, Liu performs on that same ice years later.

Maxim Naumov, a team USA member and 2020 U.S. junior national champion, leaps across the ice in a powerful, upbeat performance.

Emily Chan and Spencer Howe, members of Team USA and 2023 and 2022 silver medalists at the Four Continents Skating Championship, skate a graceful and emotive piece.

Hosts Emily A. Hughes ’11 — a 2006 Olympian and 2007 U.S. national silver medalist — and Paul S. Wylie ’90-’91 — a 1992 Olympic silver medalist — interview Molly Malone, a member of the North Shore Skating Club and a former Dana-Farber Cancer Institute patient. The Jimmy Fund supports cancer patients and their families.

Mirai Nagasu, a 2018 Olympic bronze medalist and 2008 U.S. national champion, turns in a dazzling number. She was the first U.S. woman to land a triple axel at the Olympics.

2022 U.S. national champion and Olympian Mariah Bell elegantly lands a leap in the penultimate skating event of the night.

Vincent Zhou, a 2022 Olympic silver medalist, 2022 and 2019 world bronze medalist, and Brown University student, dazzles the audience with one of his signature jumps. Zhou made world history as the first skater to land a quadruple Lutz jump in the short program at the 2018 Olympics.

AlumniCharityPhoto EssayFront Photo Feature