Women’s Basketball Clinches Bid to Ivy Tournament

The Harvard women's basketball team clinched its spot in the Ivy League Tournament with its win over Brown.
The Harvard women's basketball team clinched its spot in the Ivy League Tournament with its win over Brown. By Courtesy of Harvard Athletic Communications
By Oscar E. Mercado and Reed M. Trimble, Crimson Staff Writers

The final game of Harvard women’s basketball's (15-9, 8-3 Ivy League) three game homestand, which coincided with the team’s senior night, provided the team with a critical win-and-in matchup against the fourth-seeded Brown Bears (14-10, 5-6) for a spot in the Ivy League Tournament. Both squads entered the matchup sporting the same overall record, but the Crimson was victorious, led by junior guard Harmoni Turner’s near triple double of 21 points, 8 rebounds, and 10 assists, and senior guard Lola Mullaney’s team-high 24 points.

“I thought there was a great crowd for the game and it was amazing to have so much support for Kennedy and I as seniors,” said Mullaney. “For me, there were definitely a lot of emotions attached to the game. But, I was really proud of how we played even through the ups and downs of the game. We never gave up and came out with a huge win against a good team”

Brown’s offense hit the ground running in the first quarter, jumping to a quick 10-6 lead. Stepping up to the occasion, Mullaney responded with consecutive deep range baskets en route to a 10 point performance in the quarter. However, the Bears closed the quarter strong to end on top 18-17.

The second quarter witnessed a patented Turner takeover as the team’s talisman orchestrated a masterful 24-7 run by the Crimson to gain a game-high 41-24 lead. Turner’s playmaking ability went on full display in the quarter, posting 8 points, 4 assists, and 3 rebounds en route to a 12-6-6 points-rebounds-assists performance in the first half. Mullaney’s shooting prowess continued, scoring 8 points in the quarter as well. Harvard’s prolific offense shot an efficient 12-for-19 in the quarter, but Brown remained resilient, reducing the deficit to 45-35 entering the half.

The team will prepare for post-season play.
The team will prepare for post-season play. By Sarah G. Erickson

The second half was characterized by sloppy play for the Crimson. Missed free-throws and layups by Harvard combined with hot shooting from the Bears, leading to a 13-2 run for Brown to start the second half. The Bears’ scoring streak saw them wrench the lead from the Crimson with five minutes left in the third quarter. Harvard was able to rally behind six points from first-year forward Abigail Wright to rip back the lead before the end of the frame.

Senior night was given a poetic ending as Mullaney and first-year guard Karlee White each converted clutch buckets to keep Brown at an arm's distance in a passing-of-the-torch moment. The Bear’s last-ditch effort was dispelled by the free throw shooting of Turner. Turner broke the Crimson’s free throw shooting woes (63 percent from the line on the game) with four straight makes to seal the win.

The difference of the game came down to Harvard’s depth, as the team’s bench outscored Brown’s bench by an astounding 31-to-6 margin. “The difference of the game came down to Harvard’s depth, as the team’s bench outscored Brown’s bench by an astounding 31-to-6 margin,” said Mullaney. “We have so many players on our bench that contributed to the win and that makes us really hard to beat”

Harvard has three games left in conference play, including one last chance to defend its home court against Dartmouth on March 5. The win against Brown solidified the Crimson’s spot in the Ivy League Conference Tournament in New York City. Harvard returns to the hardwood on March 1 at Princeton.

—Staff writer at Oscar E. Mercado at oscar.mercado@thecrimson.com.

Women's Basketball