Protesters Won’t Say if Harvard Encampment Will Continue as Garber Threatens Major Disciplinary Action

Harvard President Garber Breaks Silence on Encampment, Threatens ‘Involuntary Leave’ for Protesters

Garber Is Taking a Patient Approach to the Harvard Encampment. So Far, It’s Working.

Cambridge City Manager Unveils Nearly $1 Billion 2025 Operating City Budget Proposal

Harvard Square Homeless Shelter Debuts Renovations To Adapt To 6-Month Stays

Harvard Innovation Labs Co-Founder Jodi Goldstein To Serve as Coop CEO

Jodi Goldstein will serve as the next chief executive officer of the Harvard Cooperative Society, a joint MIT-Harvard clothing and gift store.
Jodi Goldstein will serve as the next chief executive officer of the Harvard Cooperative Society, a joint MIT-Harvard clothing and gift store. By Michael Gritzbach
By Dhruv T. Patel, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard Innovation Labs Co-Founder Jodi Goldstein will serve as the next chief executive officer of the Harvard Cooperative Society, a joint MIT-Harvard clothing and gift store, the organization announced on Monday.

Goldstein will succeed Jerry Murphy ’73, who has led the Coop since 1991 and is set to step down from the top post on September 1.

Goldstein said in a Monday press release that she was excited to “drive the growth and transformation of this historic institution.”

“I am thrilled and honored to be stepping into the role of CEO at the Harvard Cooperative Society,” Goldstein said. “I look forward to working with the Coop’s talented team, engaging with our members, and serving the Harvard and MIT communities.”

According to the press release, Goldstein aims to “enhance member services, expand student engagement, refresh the Coop’s digital presence, and further activate the Coop’s real estate presence” as CEO.

Goldstein — who co-founded the Harvard Innovation Labs in 2011 — led the center for nearly one decade before stepping down in 2020 to assume advisory roles for several startup incubators, including TechStars, a technology-focused accelerator. Since 2018, Goldstein has also served as a member of the University of Vermont Board of Trustees.

In the press release, Murphy said he was “proud” of what he had accomplished in his time as CEO.

“I have truly enjoyed working with fantastic colleagues and students along the way,” Murphy said. “I am confident that Jodi’s leadership will propel the Coop to new heights, and I look forward to witnessing its continued success.”

Over his three-decade tenure at the Coop, Murphy oversaw several major projects, including the Coop’s famous 1996 renovation to install a spiral staircase in its main Harvard Square property. Murphy was also responsible for introducing the Coop’s website and further expanding the store into Cambridge and Boston.

Goldstein said in the press release that she was “deeply grateful” to Murphy for “his outstanding leadership and dedicated service to the Coop and its members.”

John P. Reardon Jr. — the chair of the Coop’s Board of Directors — also praised Murphy’s leadership and said Goldstein was the right pick to carry the Coop forward.

“Jerry has been a fantastic CEO for over 30 years and has made his mark on the Coop, leaving it in an excellent position,” Reardon said in the press release. “He leaves large shoes to fill, but Jodi’s strategic vision and innovative mindset make her the ideal leader for the next chapter.”

“We are thrilled to welcome her aboard, and we are forever grateful to Jerry,” he added.

—Staff writer Dhruv T. Patel can be reached at dhruv.patel@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @dhruvtkpatel.

Harvard SquareCambridgeCoopFront Middle FeatureFeatured Articles