Weekend Preview: The Big Game

By Steven T.A. Roach, Crimson Staff Writer

We’ve been counting down the days until the big day, but the most important game has finally arrived. It’s time for the Harvard-Yale football game! The football team squares off against Yale in the Stadium tomorrow at noon. Harvard has been dominant in recent years. The Crimson will be looking for its fourth straight win over the Bulldogs and has won eight of the last nine games, including last year’s exciting 14-10 victory at Yale.

Even though the major focus is on Harvard-Yale this weekend, the men’s basketball team takes on Mercer tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m. Last weekend, the men opened up their season with a loss against George Mason, but came back strong with a win on Wednesday night, crushing Holy Cross, 72-49. The last time the teams met, the Crimson won by a large margin, 91-73. The women’s squad faces off against Navy tomorrow at 8:30 p.m. as part of the Navy Classic. The women are 2-0 so far for the season, beating Maine and Oral Roberts in their opening games. The two teams have only met once before. Last year, the women took down the Mids, 71-55.

The men’s and women’s hockey teams also hit the road this weekend. The men’s team takes on Princeton tonight at 7 p.m. and Quinnipiac tomorrow night at the same time. The men currently stand at 2-2, after splitting games last weekend against St. Lawrence and Clarkson. The women have a similar season record, 2-2-2, losing to Quinnipiac and tying Princeton last weekend. The squad squares off against Dartmouth this weekend in a double-header, taking the Big Green on at home tonight at 7 p.m. and traveling up to Hanover tomorrow afternoon. The Crimson has won six of the past seven meetings.

The men’s and women’s squash teams will compete at home against Brown tonight and Williams on Sunday afternoon. The women also take on Stanford in an extra match on Sunday morning at 10 a.m. These are the openings matchups of the season for both teams. Last year, the men defeated both Brown and Williams in its opening weekend of play, 9-0 and 6-3, respectively. The women’s squad started out impressively last season, crushing its opponents 9-0 in its first four matches, including victories against Brown and Williams.

Crimson squads are also taking place in some of the biggest tournaments of the season. The men’s and women’s cross country teams travel to Bronx, N.Y. for the IC4A/ECAC Championships tomorrow. At home, men’s lightweight crew will compete in the Tail of the Charles tomorrow. Finally, the wrestling team faces off against Michigan State, Eastern Michigan, and Penn State in the Journeyman Sprawl & Brawl. The men competed in an individual event last week, with Corey Jantzen and Walter Peppelman reaching the finals in their respective weight classes.

Sports Blog