Spring Season Goes By in a Blur

The women's soccer team lost to Northeastern in spring-season action Friday night.
By Catherine E. Coppinger, Contributing Writer

Just two weeks ago, it was spring break and, in between generous servings of pasta and gelato, the women's soccer team was competing against Italian teams and watching David Beckham get injured in the AC Milan v. Chievo game. Shouts of “Tira, tira!” (the Italian word for “shoot”) and raucous cries of “Mamma Mia!” are still ringing in my head.

Upon our arrival back in the States, we were faced with a rude awakening: only two games left until the spring season is over. And after this past Friday, we’re down to one.

For most college sports teams in Division I, not much changes in the offseason, as practices resume a normal schedule rapidly after the last few days of the postseason. Not so for Ivy League teams. Strict league rules put extra limits on the number of days that official practices can take place, making the offseason very light in terms of volume but endowing each practice with extra importance. The women’s soccer team, for instance, is allowed just 10 official practices with the coaches in the spring. And the time goes fast.

Playing in our first game since the Italian excursions, women’s soccer took on the Boston Breakers reserve team and Northeastern in a round robin tournament this past Friday. After watching the Breakers beat Northeastern, 2-1, in the first 45-minute mini-game, we stepped out into the torrential downpour to take on our opponents.

Slippery conditions made first touches bounce a little further away than they normally do for all of the teams and the slick turf made the ball extra speedy. Despite the weather, numerous players nursing injuries, and limited amounts of practice time in preparation, the team fought well, tying the Breakers, 0-0, but unfortunately losing to Northeastern, 1-0, on a goal in the first few minutes of play.

The key for these games is development and in the “halftime” talk as well as after the games, the coaches emphasized the fleeting spring season as the beginning of next year’s campaign. In order to make the most of the few opportunities we have to play together in the spring, it’s important not to take them for granted. Though we know we have a lot left to work on, the team left the field wet and cold but excited about the season to come.

An interesting twist to the night came from the Huskies’ bench. This time last year, Northeastern head coach Tracey Leone would have been on the Harvard sideline, coaching alongside her husband, Harvard coach Ray Leone. Tracey recently accepted the head-coaching job for the Huskies, so Friday marked the first time the Leones’ teams have competed against each other. Needless to say, it was a bittersweet moment for all.

Women’s soccer will take on UConn in Connecticut on Apr. 24 to close out the spring season.

Women's SoccerSports Blog