Weekend Preview: Night Games Galore!

By Steven T.A. Roach, Crimson Staff Writer

After a weekend with no home games to speak of, Harvard athletics boast four home games this weekend, which should provide Crimson fans plenty of opportunities to cheer on their favorite teams.

The women’s soccer team is looking to regain its momentum after losing three straight games—including a 3-0 loss to BU yesterday afternoon—and falling to a 1-3-1 record. The team takes on the University of Rhode Island tonight at 7 p.m. at Soldiers Field Soccer Stadium. The Crimson is looking to score its first home win this season, and the first 75 fans in attendance will score a free T-shirt.

Meanwhile, the No. 6 men’s soccer team heads to the Lobo Classic in New Mexico and will face two teams this weekend. The squad goes up against UC Santa Barbara tonight and New Mexico on Sunday. So far, the men are 2-0-1 on the season and look to score two more wins on the road.

After a rough start to the season, going 2-6 so far, the women’s volleyball team plays three matches this weekend at the Northwestern Invitational. The team faces Marquette this afternoon, Northwestern tomorrow at noon, and Charlotte on Sunday.

The men’s water polo team faces off against MIT this afternoon at home for the ECAC Championships. The team is 2-4 for the season and picked up a win at the Princeton Invitational against George Washington after losing three games last weekend at the same event.

Starting the season, the cross-country team travels to the Bronx for the Iona Meet of Champions tomorrow. The field hockey team takes on Yale in its Ivy opener at home tomorrow afternoon and is looking to score its third win. The squad has dropped the last three games, all on the road.

Finally, the football team opens its season against Holy Cross tomorrow night under the lights at 7 p.m. To read more about the outlook for the Harvard football season, check out The Back Page’s preview, which will be posted later tonight, or The Crimson’s annual preseason supplement, on newsstands today and online tonight!

Sports Blog