Crimson Teams Head on the Road

The Harvard field hockey team is one of a few squads looking to bust out of losing streaks this weekend.
By Steven T.A. Roach, Crimson Staff Writer

After last weekend’s home football game and a host of other home games, most Harvard teams will be traveling to away matches this time around. But there are two exciting matches at home and many others games on the road to keep fans excited over the weekend.

The Harvard men’s water polo team will be hosting Fordham and Iona, both on Saturday. Recently, the squad defeated Washington and Jefferson to finish 11th in the ECAC Championships. Although the team is 3-6, it has gone 2-2 in the last four games after getting off to a 1-4 start. Against Fordham, the Crimson holds a 23-11 all-time advantage, but the Rams have won the last five meetings. Iona finished 10th in the ECAC Championships and has won the past three meetings against the Crimson.

The Harvard football team hits the road this weekend after taking down Holy Cross, 34-6, in the first game of the season. The squad travels to Providence, R.I. to take on Brown. Last year, Harvard defeated the Bears at home under the lights, 24-21, and has won nine of the last 10 meetings against Brown.

Fans looking forward to the annual Harvard-Yale game will have to wait just a little longer. But there is a Harvard-Yale matchup for the cross-country team as it faces the Bulldogs today. This is the Crimson’s second race so far, after competing in the Iona Meet of Champions last weekend. The men finished fifth out of 19 teams and the women finished 13 of 18.

Meanwhile, the men’s soccer squad hits the road to take on Stony Brook tonight and Boston University on Sunday. Currently, the Crimson is on a three-game winless streak following two ties and a loss, but in Harvard and Stony Brook’s only meeting, the Crimson emerged victorious, 4-1. As for Boston University, Harvard has won two of the last three matches, including a 1-0 win last season at home.

Also, the women’s soccer team has two away matches, taking on Penn today and Massachusetts on Sunday. In its last match, the squad won against Rhode Island to bring the women to 2-3-1 on the season. The Crimson faces its first Ivy League opponent of the season, but Harvard currently dominates the series by a large margin, 15-4-2.

The women’s volleyball squad is looking to turn its season around. Harvard is on a six-game losing streak, holding a 2-9 record. Like the women’s soccer team, the women’s volleyball squad plays its first conference match, facing Dartmouth away. Harvard leads the overall series, 42-14.

Finally, the field hockey team is also seeking to regain some momentum. After taking its first two matches, the women have dropped five straight to reach the current record of 2-5. This weekend presents the second conference match of the season, as the team takes on Penn. The Crimson lost to Penn 4-1 at home last year.

Some teams are looking to regain momentum while others are seeking to keep a winning streak alive, but one thing is clear: all of these matchups should prove to be exciting to watch for Harvard fans rooting for Crimson wins.

PreviewsSports Blog