Magic of Numbers: Men's Hoops Looks to Continue Winning Streak

Published by Ricky Liu on February 04, 2011 at 3:11AM

Each Thursday, The Crimson will compile a series of unique statistics about Harvard's sports scene. Welcome to the Magic of Numbers—without the problem sets. We'll do the math for you.

450 – Number of wins for women’s basketball head coach Kathy Delaney-Smith after the Crimson’s victory over Cornell on January 29th.

6 – Number of combined conference wins for the top two women’s basketball teams in the Ancient Eight. Harvard (11-6, 3-0 Ivy) and Princeton (14-3, 3-0) face off on Friday night to determine which team gains sole possession of first place in the Ivy League standings.

2 – Number of top-ten lists for the Crimson that senior forward Emma Markley is now on, claiming tenth place on both the all-time rebounds list, with 580 boards, and the all-time scoring list with 1,148 career points.

55 – Number of years since the Harvard men’s basketball team went on a nine-game win streak. The Crimson (15-3, 4-0 Ivy) is on an eight-game win streak, the seventh longest in the country, as it enters Friday night’s contest against the Tigers (14-4, 2-0 Ivy).

1991 – The last year that the Harvard men began the conference season at 5-0. Going into a critical Ivy League weekend against Princeton and Penn, the Crimson hopes to pick up wins against both teams and post a 6-0 Ivy League record for the first time in school history.