Harvard Helps USA National Team to IIHF World Championship Gold

By E. Benjamin Samuels, Crimson Staff Writer

The US Women’s hockey team will have to wait until 2014 to get its full measure of revenge. But after losing to the Canadians last year in the Vancouver Olympics, the American national team took back the world title yesterday at the IIHF Women’s World Championship in Switzerland.

Harvard coach Katey Stone led the squad to a title over the Canadians. After losing 2-0 in the Olympic finals a year ago, the US would not fall short this year, winning 3-2 in overtime.

Four Harvard icewomen, past and present, were on the world champion roster, but sophomore Josephine Pucci was the only active member of the Harvard team to play for the US.

Angela Ruggiero ’02-’04, the team’s captain, Julie Chu ’06-’07, and Caitlin Cahow ’07-’08 all suited up for their former college coach as well. To go along with their Olympic silver medals, the three have all won three world titles.

The women’s hockey team was at its most dominant during the careers of these three players. Between 2003 and 2005, Harvard made three straight appearances in the NCAA National Finals, although ultimately never gaining the trophy.

Despite having lost in the Olympics, the American team has now won three straight IIHF Championships, dating back to 2008. Since the tournament was first played in 1990, no team other than the United States or Canadian has ever won a gold or silver medal.

Women's Ice HockeySports Blog