Team USA Hockey Starts Exhibition Slate

By Jillian Dukes, Contributing Writer

Harvard women’s ice hockey coach Katey Stone, in her newest gig as head coach of the USA national women’s hockey team, is off to a challenging start.

In their exhibition game against Canada, Team USA’s defense was slow to start, as three unanswered goals found the back of the net. Stone’s offense struggled to catch up the entire game.

A solid comeback was not enough to propel the Americans to victory.  The Canadians took the win with a score of 3-2, and Stone registered her first loss as head coach.

The actual hockey aside, a memorable moment of the match was hands down the brawl that broke out in the third period, a wild episode that has been going viral on YouTube.  The fight broke out after a Canadian player delivered a hit to USA’s goalie, spurring a massive scuffle between the squads.

Stone and her team will have many chances for redemption as the Bring On the World tour kicks off, which is a series of exhibition games leading up to the Olympic competition in Sochi in February. The next major tournament for the Americans is the Four Nations Cup, which will be held November 5-9.  Stone and her team are hoping to revitalize women’s hockey in America with a powerful performance this Olympic year, and the Four Nations Cup will be the first stepping stone towards this goal.

Women's Ice HockeyOlympicsSports Blog