Athletes Of the Week Runners-Up — September 16

By Julian Ryan, Crimson Staff Writer

Despite the sweltering heat a few days ago, it seems as if fall is coming early to Boston. Not discouraged by the dwindling temperatures and cooler breezes, Crimson athletes were involved in plenty of action this week, and The Back Page notes a few that put in superlative performances.

Tiffany Lim, Women’s Golf

Princeton lost to Harvard by only one stroke for the Ivy title at the end of last season, so Harvard’s twelve-stroke victory on the Tigers’ home turf is distinctly impressive. That victory came on the back of a monster performance by Tiffany Lim. The junior set the female course record in Springdale, New Jersey, with a six-under par round of 66 on Saturday morning, eventually easing to the individual title by three strokes.

Sarah Finnemore, Women’s Field Hockey

It had been a rough start for Harvard field hockey with two losses to start the season, but that all changed on Friday night when the team put Holy Cross on the business end of a 4-0 drubbing. Freshman Sarah Finnemore sparked the rout for the Crimson, who had been held scoreless in the first half, by opening the scoring in the 51st minute. Three more swift goals followed in the next fifteen minutes with Finnemore adding another goal to give her a brace for the day. The freshman has now scored over half of the team’s goals to this point in the season.

Margaret Purce, Women’s Soccer

Women’s soccer had also failed to win until this Sunday, when the 1-0 scoreline failed to do justice to their dominance over LIU Brooklyn. The Blackbirds did not even get a single shot off in the second half, and the difference was a first half goal from freshman Margaret Purce. The rookie now has two goals for the season and, fresh off playing in the U-17 CONCACAF championships while in high school, will be looking to add to her total in the coming weeks.

Sports Blog