Former Harvard QB, Now a Cheesehead

September 30, 2006: Harvard 35, Lehigh 33

Cold weather has been kind to Harvard quarterbacks. First, the Crimson had Ryan Fitzpatrick ‘05, who has emerged as the starter for the Buffalo Bills this season. Now, Chris Pizzotti '08-'09 joins the ranks, as he signed with the Green Bay Packers on Tuesday.

“I’m pumped,” the 2008 Ivy League Player of the year said. “I couldn’t wait to get started.”

Pizzotti had been trying to make it onto the New York Jets’ roster at the beginning of preseason, but the Jets chose to take Mark Sanchez and Kellen Clemens instead. Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. New York has stumbled to a 6-6 record, with its record putting it in a three-way tie for third in the AFC Wild Card Race. Green Bay has posted an 8-4 record and currently leads the race for the NFC Wild Card.

“Both [New York and Green Bay] have been great experiences,” Pizzotti said. “The organization here is a little more laid back. They let the players take control, give you a little more freedom. We work really hard, but people out here have a lot more free time.”

After Pizzotti had been cut from the Jets, his agents had been talking to different teams trying to get the Harvard grad a tryout.

The Packers decided to give him a chance.

“I did a workout for them a couple months ago,” he said. “They told me ‘stay in shape. If anything happens, we’ll let you know.’”

Pizzotti arrived in Wisconsin on Monday at 3:30. He signed with the team on Tuesday.

“Everything’s been going really well,” he said.

As a member of the practice squad, Pizzotti’s role is to work with the third-string defense.

“You do whatever they tell you to do,” he said. “[Practice players try to] show the coach that we’ll work our butts off, we’ll do whatever it takes.”

If the 2008 Walter Payton Award Finalist hopes to move up the ranks and ultimately earn a starting job, he already has a ready-made role model in Bills’ starter Fitzpatrick.

“Ryan’s been doing a great job,” Pizzotti said. “They know a guy from Harvard can play. It’s a tribute to our coaching staff. They’ve done an unbelievable job.”

Fitzpatrick started a total of three games in his first three seasons in the NFL. The past two seasons, he has started 17.

Who’s to say that Pizzotti won’t be able to make similar progression?

In the meantime, the two-time Ivy League Champion is excited to be a member of the Green Bay Packers.

Football

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.