Thanksgiving Fun in the Boston Region

The usual flow of Science Center denizens is interrupted yesterday afternoon by a reclining, costumed Jake C. Levine ‘06, who urged them to “go cold turkey” and sign a pledge to turn off their computers this Thanksgiving break.

Staying at Harvard for the holiday? You can still get a break from campus this Thanksgiving weekend. The Boston region is full of fall fun for you.

• For a classic New England Thanksgiving, head out to Old Sturbridge Village near Worcester. Throughout the long weekend, events like "Roasting Meat on a String" and "Meet the Oxen in Training" will bring you back to the old days. It may be a long trek, but the roasted turkey, broiled Boston scrod, and candied pecans should be worth your time.

• Extend your Thanksgiving feast on a Black Friday dinner cruise around Boston Harbor on Friday.

• Hit up the Stone Zoo, accessible by MBTA bus, to see your favorite animals half-price on Friday, or come at night for ZooLights, the annual holiday lights display that opens on Thanksgiving.

• On the very day after Thanksgiving, it's time to turn your thoughts to Christmas. The Boston Ballet's rendition of "The Nutcracker" opens on Friday.

• Have your oysters and eat them too. Drop by the North End Fish Market for the weekly free shucking lesson from 1 to 3 p.m. on Saturday.

• The rock band Trans-Siberian Orchestra is stopping at the TD Garden on Sunday on its national tour.

• Watch a restored version of the classic movie "Mary Poppins" at Arlington's Regent Theatre on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, and use on-screen lyrics to sing along to the timeless tunes. Be sure to dress up as your favorite character!

BostonOff Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.