5 Things We Miss About Occupy

ā€¢
Occupy Harvard protests outside of Mass Hall, where students in 2001 launched a Living Wage campaign.

With the Occupy tents gone from the Yard, life is a little simpler. But, as they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and so here are a few things we dearly miss about you, Occupy.

1. No tourists in the Yard. Love it or hate it, Occupy Harvard kept tourists out of the Yard. That meant no struggling past tour groups to get to class, no watching unsuspecting tourists touch John Harvard's foot, and no photographers at Primal Scream. Alas, the tourists and their cameras are back.

2. No more excuses for being late to class. Even though it only took 1.25 seconds to pull out our IDs and show them to a guard, the increased security around the Yard was a legitimate excuse for being late to class.

3. No more Occupy jokes. We heard them everywhere: from "occupying the bathroom" to "occupy the library." Now, with the end of Occupy Harvard's encampment, these jokes have gone out of style.

4. The signs. Ninety-nine percentĀ on exams are rare at Harvard, and seeing those Occupy signs everywhere was a welcome flashback to our high school days. Now with Occupy gone, that's one less A+ we'll see in our lives.

5. No more giving Occupy updates. Everyone wanted to know what was going on with the Occupy movement, from parents to third cousins twice removed. Now that the encampment is closed, all those distant relatives seem a little less interested in our lives.

Occupy

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.