How to Use 'The Porch'

President Drew G. Faust watches as Jonathan L. Walton, the Pusey Minister of the Memorial Church, speaks at the opening of the Porch, Harvard's newest Common Space. The ribbon-cutting ceremony Wednesday morning included coffee and baked goods from Memorial Cafe, and began at the close of morning chapel.

Colorful shorts and chairs are back in season, the Science Center Plaza is flocked with dozens of Cantabrigians, and the new 'Porch' on Memorial Church is thronged with people—students, professors, tourists—lounging around on the smooth wooden benches, reclining on the steps, or chatting it up around the tiny silver tables. But one can only lounge so much. Here are some interesting ways to take advantage of this new common space.

1. Section Outside: Who wouldn't want to escape that stuffy room on the third floor of Sever? You could easily fit a small class on the porch, either seated in the chairs or just lying on the steps, and who knows, your comments might even sound smarter out in the fresh air. Now you've just got to convince your TF.

2. Sunbathing: The trees haven't quite started to block out the sun yet, but when they do Memorial Church will be an ideal place to catch some rays; the sky above the porch is tree-free and it's well-lit all day. Lie down on a towel or blanket and proceed to get tan—or burnt, if we're being honest. Just wear sunscreen!

3. Declamation: Give a speech! Or maybe just host a rally if your oratory skills are a little rusty. There's plenty of space for witty signs and supporters of your cause, and whatever you're saying will sound so much more legitimate when you are standing in front of Memorial Church, framed by all that Greek architecture.

4. Lunch Date: If you're just looking to relax and enjoy the view of Tercentenary Theater, then bag a lunch and grab a seat; listen to the birds, catch a breeze, or just people-watch as you stoically eat a sandwich.

5. Boardgames/Poker: If you want to encourage friendly competition among your friends or just lose some money, then the porch works. The chairs and tables are great for small games, though their size might make these friendly matches a tad more intense.

6. Workout: Only the best of us can run the steps of Widener, but Memorial Church is the perfect spot for a Rocky-esque workout that is less demanding and comes with a nice location for relaxing afterward.

7. Art: Draw, paint, sculpt, chisel, mold! The area's got a cornucopia of subjects to choose from—trees, buildings, people, all uniquely shadowed—and it's just quiet enough not to disrupt your focus. Even if you don't already do art, there's no better place to start.

8. Flashmob: No one will expect it. Gather some friends and look completely inconspicuous before breaking into your routine. If that kind of public spectacle isn't your thing, the wide, flat porch would still be great for a tango in the moonlight.

Memorial ChurchHarvard YardFlyby Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.