Flyby's Guide to April Fools' Day

By Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

It seems like spring is finally here in Cambridge, with the flowers blossoming and the air smelling like poop again. As offended as your nostrils are, however, here’s something to brighten your day: it’s April Fools’ Day! Struggling to come up with a legendary prank? Don’t worry. Flyby has some suggestions for you:

For your blockmates/suitemates:
Water trap:
Here’s a chance to get rid of all those red solo cups you bought at the beginning of the year. Fill them up with water. While your blockmates are sleeping, cover their entire floor/common room with these cups of water so that they are trapped on their beds. Stepping on any of these cups would result in a domino effect and eventual deluge. Good luck.

Lock in:
Get some sturdy string or wire. If you live in a suite with multiple doubles/singles, tie the doorknobs of two bedrooms together, so that they can’t open the door from inside. Get them to promise you ten El Jefe’s burritos before letting them out.

New Hair-do:
Get some cheap (temporary) hair dye from CVS. Mix it in with your blockmate’s shampoo. Make sure to snapchat their reaction. You might even get on the Ivy snap story for once.

For your roommates:
A night under the stars:
This one is perfect for those of you with roommates who sleep like the dead. With the help of your suitemates, carry your roommate's bed, upon which your roommate should still be fast asleep, outside. Drop them off in the middle of the yard or Quad lawn (I got you, Quadlings). Your roommate will probably wake up to the amused murmurs and camera flashes of confused tourists. A sure way to not only make it onto the Ivy snap story, but also most likely the front page of the Crimson!

Redefining “on fleek”:
Another trick for those of you with roommates who are very heavy sleepers. While your roommate is sound asleep, shave off one eyebrow. Can be done easily with a little bit of shaving cream and eyebrow razor, conveniently sold at a CVS near you. Be prepared with a back-up rooming group though... this one may leave you alienated just days before the Housing Lottery.

The Missing Turkey:
Find the avian celebrity, the Harvard Turkey. Find the turkey a friend (she/he/it must get lonely roaming around the streets of Harvard all alone). Label the original turkey with a #1 tag. Label the second turkey with a #3 tag. Yes, you read that correctly. Not #2, but #3. Where is the #2 turkey you ask? The world may never know.

For Pre-Frosh:
Yale sucks 1.0:
Conveniently, regular decisions for most colleges are being released right about now. This is a challenge for you genius coders out there: figure out how to get on the Class of 2020 listserv, and send them an email assigning them a 20 page research paper on how much Yale sucks. Then start a chain of Reply-Alls saying "please take me off this list."

Yale sucks 2.0:
If the challenge above is too easy for you, here’s the hacker version: hack Yale’s admission page to display a huge sign that says: “It’s not too late, Class of 2020! Transfer to our better half: Harvard!” Which would link to Harvard’s admission page. (Though, of course, Flyby doesn’t endorse illegal hacking.) We’d be pranking the Yalies even before they get to New Haven. Who knows? Maybe the lucky few that got accepted to both schools will choose Harvard over Yale. (But let’s be real. Who wouldn’t?)

For the Lampoon, the semi-secret Sorrento Square social organization that used to occasionally publish a so-called humor magazine?:
Looks like Conan's got this one covered ;).

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby Front

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.