This Week at Harvard: Get Out of the Bubble

•

Okay, we relent. Harvard is amazing during the summertime. The yard looks beautiful (even though every inch of it is covered with tourists), and the houses look resplendent with all of their trees in bloom and their gardens and courtyards soaked in afternoon sunlight. But as great as Harvard looks during the summer, Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville look even better; the towns truly come alive during the summer.

So what does that mean for you? It means that it’s time to stop instagramming Harvard buildings and venture beyond the bubble. With the Fourth of July on the horizon, Boston organizations are gearing up for one of the most event-packed weekends of the summer. Check out these cool events happening throughout the greater Boston area.

true

Harvard Farmers Market
Tuesday at noon | Science Center Plaza

The Science Center might be going through renovations, but the Science Center Plaza is still busy. Every Tuesday, vendors from across the city come and gather under the Science Center tent for Harvard’s weekly farmers market, featuring fresh fruit, jam, and our personal favorite: apple cider. Even if you’re living all the way out in the Quad, you should make your way over to the Farmer’s Market for some fresh, healthy food. After all, you can only eat so many nachos before your body starts to wilt due to malnutrition.

Grown Up StoryTime with BooTown
Wednesday at 7 p.m. | 14 Tyler St., Somerville

Not those kind of grown up stories. Ew. No, remember when your parents used to read you stories before bed? This is sort of like that, but instead of cookies and milk, you can plop down with a nice can of beer and your closest friends at this event hosted by BooTown Boston. It works like this: the organization collect hilarious, heartwarming, and downright outrageous short stories ahead of the event, and then invites artists and performers from around the area to read them aloud. Check out the event at Aeronaut Brewing Company’s stage. The event is pay-what-you-can, though the organizers suggest that you bring $5 per person so that they can pay their artists. It’s a fun, alternative way to enjoy yourself during the evening, and a great way to get away from campus without breaking your bank.

Movie Night at Fenway Park
Wednesday at 7 p.m. | Fenway Park

Depending on how old you are, you may or may not be aware that Ferris Bueller’s Day Off is one of the best movies to ever grace the big screen. Fenway Park is helping Boston celebrate the movie’s 30th anniversary (sorry if that just made you feel old, 80’s kids) on Wednesday with a movie night at the stadium. The usual Fenway Park fan fare—food, gear, and beer— will be available. General admissions tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 12 and under. Keep an eye out on the weather because the movie will run rain or shine. Gates open at 7 p.m., and the movie starts around 8:15 p.m.

T: an MBTA Musical
Friday at 10 p.m. | 255 Elm St., Somerville

If you’ve ever been royally pissed at the T, and all of the rest of MBTA’s public transportation, then this musical is perfect for you. Hosted at the Davis Square Theater, the musical is a quirky telling of twenty-somethings and their attempts to circumvent the screwed up machinations of Boston’s premier transportation agency. The price is a little steep ($25), but it’ll be a hilarious way to kick off a weekend, and will put you smack-dab in the center of one of Boston’s most culturally thriving squares.

Boston Harborfest
July 1 - 4 | Boston

Boston Harborfest is one Boston’s annual Fourth of July traditions. The opening ceremony starts on Friday with the 215th Army Band kicking off the celebration at Faneuil Hall at noon. Later that evening, you can enjoy live entertainment and a movie screening at Columbus Park around 6 p.m. Check out the event's website for a full rundown of all of the 100+ activities and events running throughout the weekend.

Flyby BlogFlyby CultureFlyby City

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.