Flyby’s Best Classes Roundup

By Sophia Salamanca

PSA: Course registration is open! As you use your last remaining brain cells to juggle both your midterms for this semester’s set of tortures classes and looking for classes to take next semester, here are some of Flyby’s recommendations for the best classes that they have taken that might just save your GPA (and your sanity).

English 90B: James/Baldwin with Jesse McCarthy

This is a class full of people who truly love novels. If you truly love novels, take it.

Gen Ed 1104: Science and Cooking

After taking my p-set classes, I thought maybe I did belong in the kitchen, but after this class I apparently don’t belong there either. :,) ​​Great free food, though!

FYSEMR 40D: The Transformation of Marketing

Yes, this was a freshman seminar (and therefore the majority of people reading this article will never have the chance to take it themselves). Yes, I did take this pass-fail. Yes, this was my favorite class! That said, this seminar was a crash course on marketing, taught through the HBS case study method (read: lots of reading and lots of arguing). The professor is incredibly enthusiastic, and I looked forward to class every single week!

Gen Ed 1179: Psychotherapy

Sending all my love to this class. I never fell asleep in lecture, and it was a very wholesome vibe for such a big lecture. You leave feeling mentally rejuvenated and ready to tackle the next breakdown that comes your way.

21W.758: Genre Fiction Workshop for Young Adult Literature

Ever dreamt of being the next Colleen Hoover? The class provides a wonderful, low pressure space to learn about the craft and practice your writing while bonding over your love for love triangles and the enemies-to-lovers trope. The professor is so supportive and enthusiastic to see the students explore and work on their work. It’s taught at MIT but it’s without a doubt one of my favorite classes ever taken during college.

Stat 110: Probability

Your life will be changed. Your eyes will be opened. You will contemplate your existence and life choices. Just try not to fall into despair when calculating the odds of surviving finals week.

​​ESPP 180: Climate Change, Health, and Environmental Justice-Focusing on Solutions

I never thought I’d consider concentrating in anything environment-related, but this class changed my entire outlook on public health, climate change, and enacting public policy that better serves local communities. I can’t say enough good things about Kari and the amazing guests she brings in weekly to talk to us about the environment, medicine, and government.

Take this class to embrace the crunchy granola lifestyle and become an even bigger fan of king Noah Kahan!

ESPP ♾️: Reconnecting with the Earth Through The Art of Bushjumping

Get ready to leap into the unknown. This course, only for the brightest of minds (so much so that only certain people can even find it on my.harvard), allowed me to truly open my eyes to the world around me/escape the matrix. Jumping into a bunch of bushes around the Boston area was something I never knew I needed in my life, but now it’s part of my daily routine, and I’m thankful for Sensei Shrub’s work. It’s a must-take!

Now that we’ve equipped you with such a comprehensive list of classes guaranteed to entertain, enlighten, and possibly confuse you, go forth, get those holds lifted, and good luck!

Flyby BlogFlyby FrontHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.