At the Peabody, A Theft--Perhaps

CRIME

By Richard J. Meislin

Some time around last Thursday, the Peabody Museum was preparing to photograph a collection of 19th century carved Indian items for addition to the museum's acquisition files. Unfortunately, they found, there was nothing to photograph; the objects had been stolen.

Stephen Williams, director of the museum, reported the theft to the Harvard police, asking that it remain confidential. And for a week it did, until it was reported to Cambridge police and appeared on their blotter.

The missing items include bone ivory home charms and drinking tubes, carved in the 19th century by Indians in Alaska and on the North-west coast. Their value is placed at about $10,000.

No one--Williams or police at Harvard or Cambridge--seems to know exactly how or when the theft occurred. But Williams said he "would not call this a robbery--this was a removal of materials from a storage area."

Meanwhile, talk has begun over increasing security at the Peabody Museum--much as it began at the Fogg after last year's coin robbery. Sources said this week that a request for $50,000 to tighten anti-theft measures has been submitted and is now pending.