Sleepy Bear Cub, Amateur Aerialist Liven Bruin Game

By Charles W. Bailey

Brown brought a little black bear to the Stadium Saturday. The little black bear romped up and down the sidelines for one period, ate immense quantities of honey between the halves, and slept peacefully on the 30-yard line while its big Brown brothers were being shredded in the second half.

The 12,000 people in the Harvard stands didn't go to sleep, though. They screamed and yelled and hollered as Valpey's harvest hands mowed down the Bruins. When Paul Shafer began cutting his way through the middle of the line, one Crimson enthusiast cut loose with a Diesel horn for accompaniment. The Brown linemen must have found the sound chillingly appropriate as they encountered the head, knees, elbows, and hips of Mr. Shafer.

Silence Broken

The deathlike pall of silence which usually envelops the Soldiers Field press lounge raised briefly in the second period when Vern Miller (he weighed 295 after the Yale game in 1941) hoisted himself over the railing and out onto the narrow ledge to retrieve a wandering page of copy. It looked for a minute as if Vern planned a quick trip to the playing field, but he cased his form back over the groaning rail without mishap.

Goalposts, always a vital subject to the HAA, fared better Saturday than on other occasions this season. The first phalanx of disgruntled Providence natives discovered a small but firm police cordon which politely informed them that Mr. Bingham felt no compulsion to donate his posts in the light of the final score.

No one seemed able to explain just what became of the 40,000 people who were expected to cram the Stadium. They probably got caught in a traffic circle on Route 1 and were back in Providence before they knew it.

But the 25,000 who did show up turned in more decibels of cheering--organized and otherwise--than any gathering of similar size in the memory of man.