Nine Faces Lions, Princeton

Crucial League Games Over Weekend

By Herbert S. Meyers

The varsity baseball team will have its first chance to make a real move in the Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League this weekend, when it meets Columbia and Princeton, both away. Princeton is currently holding down fourth place in the league, one above the Crimson, and Columbia is in ninth.

Coach Stuffy McInnis will have his two aces ready for the weekend activities. Ira Godin, who was scheduled to pitch against Amherst on Wednesday, will probably get the starting assignment against Columbia this afternoon, while Barry Turner will pitch against the Tigers tomorrow. Godin has had no decisions in League competition so far this season; Turner's one and one record places him eighth among league pitchers.

Columbia

Wednesday's victory over Pennsylvania was the first of the year for Columbia, and it came by way of a five run first inning. An extremely poor season in which the Lions have lost four non-league games in addition to their five league defeats, has been attributed to a failure to hit with men on bases, but against Penn the team showed unexpected power. Tom Powers, right fielder, who had a perfect day at the plate, hit two home runs and accounted for four Columbia runs.

Ed Martin will probably be assigned the pitching duties for the Lions. Martin has only finished one league game, but has been credited with two losses, being knocked out in the seventh inning in his last start. Kermit Tracy, who defeated Penn after giving up ten scattered hits, will be ready for relief service.

Princeton

Although Princeton was limited to four hits in its 5 to 2 victory over Navy Wednesday, the team took full advantage of its late power burst, scoring the three winning runs in the first half of the ninth inning. Ray Chirugi, Princeton moundsman who got his third win of the season, may be called on to repeat tomorrow. Chirugi is the only pitcher in the league to have two shutouts.

McInnis had announced no lineup changes for the weekend contests. Last week's victory over Navy indicated that the Crimson has improved a great deal since earlier this season and with six league games scheduled for Friday and Saturday, McInnis is looking for an improvement in the team standings.

In league competition the varsity has lost to Cornell and defeated a strong Navy team.