CCA Councillors Predict Defeat for 'Reducators'

Six Votes Needed to Put It into Record

By Philip M. Cronin

Sources within the Cambridge City Council said yesterday that any attempt to enter Robert Donner's "Reducators" list--which names 68 faculty members as "Communists or communist sympathizers--into the city's official records will be defeated.

This prediction was made by one member of the "majority" in the council and less emphatically corroborated by two others.

It was based on the belief that the "majority" of the nine-man council--the five sponsored by the Cambridge Civic Association-- would vote as a block against the bill.

Two-Thirds Needed

A two-thirds vote is required to put an ordinance into the records. The majority of members saw no possibility that the opposition could muster the necessary six votes.

Meanwhile, attempts, to distribute the list to the nine councillors and to the chief of police have fouled in legal red tape.

Reprint Rights Delay

The pamphlet states that it may not be reprinted in the entirety without prior written permission of the publisher, the National Council for American Education. Several councillors yesterday expressed doubt that this organization is still in existence.

The "Reducators" list was compiled two years ago by Robert Donner of Colorado Springs, Colorado, an ex-Yale student. The list received little publicity at the time, because it was feared that it might be libelous. Subsequent investigation found that the vagueness of its wording was adequate protection from legal action.