Tufts Tops Five, 66-62; Cadets Next Foe; Sextet Takes 61 Shots at A.I.C., Wins, 6-3

By Michael J. Halberstam

MEDFORD, Jan. 11--Tufts beat the varsity basketball team here tonight, 66 to 62. The Jumbos, playing their second game in two nights, weren't a bit tired, and came from behind to give the Crimson its tenth loss of the season against four wins. Harvard returns to the Blockhouse Saturday night to entertain Army.

Don Goodwin and Jim Mullaney of the victors were the best players in the game. Of the last 19 points Tufts made, these two contributed 15. Mullaney tossed in the last five points for the home team.

The Jumbos got off to a surprising start and led, 17 to 7, after five minutes of play. Some fine shooting by Ed Smith brought the Crimson ahead at half-time, 29 to 26.

Stevenson Fouls Out

When Harvard had its biggest lead of the game, 38 to 31, John Stevenson fouled out. Ambrose Redmond went in for him at forward. Concurrently, Tufts began to drive much harder. The Crimson man-to-man defense began to loosen.

Tufts tied the game at 43-all midway in the last half. From this time on only Smith, Jim Gabler, and Bill Hickey scored for the Crimson. Gerry Murphy fouled out with eight minutes left to play; his roommate, Bob Bramhall, was unable to play because of a bad cold. This left the Crimson without its two best set shots in the crucial minutes of the game.

With the score tied at 55-all, Goodwin hit two of his deadly one handers, and Jim Kiley made a set shot. Kiley would would have been out of the game on fouls except for an error on the part of the official scorer. From then on, Mullaney took over.

The freshmen made 43 percent of their shots, winning by 83 to 60.

Saturday's will be the first road game for Coach John Mauer's all-winning Army quintet. The Cadets have defeated St. Lawrence, Ithaca, Brown, and Rutgers so far, despite the fact that Mauer has only two 1950 lettermen on the squad.

HARVARD (62)  g  f  pHickey, g  2  2  6Murphy, g  1  6  8Hansen  0  0  0Smith (C), c  8  7  23Stevenson, f  2  2  6Redmond  0  2  2Urdan  0  0  0Gabler, f  5  7  17Totals  18  26  6