All Out-Of-Season Athletics May be Abolished at Yale

New Eli Sports Policies

By Michael J. Halberstam

Yale's abolition of spring football practice is only a part of an investigation which may lead to the ending of all Eil out-of-season sports, Athletic Director Robert A. Hall told the Crimson last night.

Hall also said that Yale "would be delighted" to play without the two platoon system next year if its opponents would agree to do the same. He said that he had already discussed this matter informally with other ivy Group schools but would not indicate whether he had brought it to the attention of the H.A.A. Thomas D. Bolles, Director of Athletics, was not available for comment last night.

Hall also confirmed reports that he favors playing the Harvard-Yale intramural championship in the Yale Bowl when the Ells have an open date on a Saturday. For the past two years Yale has had an open date the Saturday before it played Princeton.

A Harvard-Yale intramural game in the Bowl would fit in with Hall's plan of possibly reducing the Blue football schedule from nine games to eight. Hall said he thought the "Open-Closed" Stadium game here one week ago had been "a very good idea." But he added that he had not yet gone over the proposal with any Harvard officials.

Sports that might be affected by a continued. Yale crackdown on out-of-season events are fall baseball, spring basketball, and crew. Moreover, several Yale teams have taken summer tours to Carribean nations in the past few years.

Concerning the possibility that other colleges might not follow Yale in its abolition of spring football, Hall said "We're not asking other schools to do what we do. We just think that the game has become too specialized and has too much emphasis on perfection. That's why we don't like the two platoon idea."