Faculty Suspends Integrated College-Law Study Program

Cherington Proposal Follows Law Action

By David L. Halberstam

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences yesterday temporarily suspended the Seven Year Law Program.

If the current uncertainty over the draft ends, however, the program may be reinstituted.

The program, long under attack, had been a joint and integrated plan of study between the Law School and College, leading to the A.B. and LL.B. degrees.

Last spring the Law Faculty voted to stop the study, and it was generally expected that the Arts and Sciences Faculty would fellow the proposal made by Charles R. Cherington '88, professor of Government, yesterday.

"Under the present military service and draft conditions, we couldn't really advise students to enter such a program right now," Cherington said last night, explaining the decision.

The plan, which was instigated 13 years ago, called for exceptional students who were definitely headed for Law School to take three years of College, and then go to the Law School for the next two. The final two years of the program were spent in integrated study between the Law School and College.

Investigations Started In 1950

Over 30 men had graduated from the Seven Year plan up to last year. Because of the Law Faculty's decision last spring, no students had been asked to join the plan.

Yesterday's decision follows study dating back to Nov. 14, 1950 when Prevent Buck appointed a three man committee to investigate the problem. The committee included Cherington, Dean Griswold of the Law School, and Dean Mason of the Graduate School of Public Administration.

Three reasons caused Buck's investigation. At that time the faculty wanted to and out if the present draft situation made the plan impractical, whether the tutorial system in the College was strong enough, and finally, if there was sufficient demand for the project.