Sextet Wins Second Game; Bests B. U. in Dull Tilt, 3-1

By James M. Storey

This year's Crimson hockey team may not be as good as last year's; but B.U. is nowhere near as good. For the first time in many seasons Harvard had an easy time with the Terriers, and with no practice in three days, Cooney Weiland's sextet skated to an easy win, 3 to 1, last night at the Boston Garden.

After the first period, when the play was sloppy and inconclusive, the Crimson dominated, scoring once in the second period and twice in the third, after spotting the Terriers a first-period goal.

The locals sorely missed the finesse of Amory Hubbard and Walt Greeley, last year's all-star scoring combination; but the loss of Dick Rodenhiser, high-scorer of B.U.'s last two teams, has left the Terriers in even worse straits, with only two lines playing most of the night. The game was unusual for a Harvard-B.U. contest, usually rough tussles in the past, as it was marked by only one penalty and listless hockey.

Murphy Strikes First

Ed Mrkonich and the Harvard defense kept the B.U. offense bottled up most of the night, but at 9:37 of the first period wing John Murphy took the puck at his own blue line, skated around the Crimson defenders, and went all the way to back hand it past Crimson goalie Charlie Flynn and draw first blood.

The Crimson began pressing in the second period, and finally tied it up at 14:36 when Captain Norm Wood passed out of a scramble at the blue line to Dick Clasby in front of the B.U. goal. Clasby slapped the puck past Bradley, with Frank Mahoney also getting an assist on the play. The same three collaborated again at 15:39 for Harvard's second score, This time Wood pushed in a loose puck after a Clasby rebound while Bradley was down on the ice.

At 17:37 Doug Manchester came out of his lethargy to put on the best show of the night. Taking the puck in his own zone, he stickhandled through the whole Terrier team, and took a shot from close in, which Bradley saved nicely. Scott Cooledge, following the play, slapped in the rebound for the final score.

the loss was B.U.'s fourth of the season, and Harvard's second win against a like number of defeats.