Wisconsin College Head Possible Corp. Selection

By David W. Cudhea

Nathan M. Pusey '28, president of Lawrence College in Appleton, Wisconsin, may be under consideration for the presidency of Harvard, it was learned last night.

"I talked with the Corporation in Cambridge on May 11," Pusey told the CRIMSON yesterday. "But no one has said a word to me about being president of Harvard, I talked with the Corporation about educational problems of Harvard," Pusey said.

Discussion of such problems, rather than direct job interviews, is the way the Corporation reportedly conducts its talks with possible Presidential choices.

No Comment Here

The Corporation held a meeting on May 11, but no University official here would comment on whether Pusey was being considered at that time. Nor could any official be found to say whether he is now in the running.

Pusey graduated from the College in 1928, and later taught Classics here. He has also taught at Scripps College in California, and at Wesleyan University in Connecticut.

"This is the first I have heard of my being considered," he said last night. "The first I knew of the whole thing was when I saw it in a local newspaper this afternoon."

Pusey, 46, is probably the least known in a list of candidates which has included Archibald Cox '34, professor of Law; Francis Keppel '38, Dean of the School of Education; John Coolidge '35, Director of Fogg Museum; and Phillip Rhinelander '29, Chairman of the Committe on General Education, among others.

Pusey said he knew of no other midwestern college figures who have yet been contacted by the Corporation. However, it has recently been rumored that the Corporation, unable to find a suitable choice in this area, is searching the ranks of mid-Western colleges for presidents or deans who have graduated from the College.

Although speculation on possible choices has been rife since President Conant retired in January, it has not been learned how many men the Corporation has interviewed.

Pusey's is the first such interview to become known.

After five months of consideration, the Corporation apparently has not yet picked a President, judging from the fact that Pusey was interviewed so recently. Latest rumors have suggested that the Presidential choice may not be announced until fall.

Pusey received his A.B. degree magna cum laude, took an A.M. in 1932 and a Ph. D. in 1937. He became President of Lawrence College in 1944, and the same year received an LL.D. from Wesleyan.

The Classical scholar is married, and is an Episcopalian. He is chairman of the Committee of Liberal College Education of the Association of American Colleges.