Lady in the Balcony

Cabbages and Kings

By Jonathan Beecher and I. DAVID Benkin

A buzzing, good-humored crowd gathered Sunday night in front of Jordan hall where Howard Fast and Samuel P. Scars, men of opposite political convictions, were scheduled to speak. Three meek, middle-aged women did a brisk business, distributing pamphlets to those waiting for the doors to open. Their handouts consisted of clippings from the American Mercury and the New Bedford Standard-Times.

During the debate, the audience heard Mr. Fast, who describes himself as "a person of the left," speak in favor of coexistence. As he glanced towards Scars, Fast assaulted the "protagonists of war with Russia." Scars blew his nose loudly. Fast's voice rose as he outlined the history of Russia's peaceful foreign policy. "Only the truth is good," he cried in attacking American rearmament. Then he sat down.

Arguing against coexistence, Samuel Scars warned that behind "the grandmotherly cap so recently put on by Mr. Bulganin, one might see the greedy eyes and sly smile of the wolf." An enthusiastic claque clapped loudly at this, encouraging general assent from the other listeners. As Scars went on, however, the organized cheering section became more and more lonely. When he cited authority for unmasking Soviet aggression, naming David Lawrence as "a fearless American writer," Scars was forced to pause until the laughter died.

When the debate moved into the question period, Fast continued his attack on American foreign policy and his approbation of Soviet intentions, facilely countering the attacks of Scars and the audience. While answering a query about free elections in Poland with an answer about rigged elections in Mississippi, Fast was interrupted by a stir in the rear of the balcony.

"Oh shut up!"

A heavyset woman in a light grcy coat got to her feet. "Oh shut up, you dirty Communist!," she screamed. "You're no American. Our country, our country right or wrong!"

Seated in his chair behind the podium, Fast reddened. "It's my country," he shouted back at her, "and I intend to keep it right because it is my country."

Two ushers left their seats and hurried to the balcony stairs.

"Now why don't you go back to Russia?" the woman screamed as she retreated up the aisle.

"I can't go back. I've never been there."

"Evil man...You evil man."

Moderator Ruben Lurie walked to the front of the platform. "We do not permit this type of unseemly interruption here," said Mr. Lurie. "We stand for the principle of free speech and free answer... We have no police here... Never in our history have we had this type of interruption."

While Mr. Lurie continued, the audience could hear the woman's cries echoing from the corridors outside. "Dirty Communist, dirty Communist..."