The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Aggressive Jumbo Varsity Five Breaks Crimson Winning Streak

By John A. Rava

An overconfident Harvard basketball team, riding the crest of a six-game winning streak, was rudely upended last night by a more inspired, more aggressive, and sharper shooting Tufts five, 68 to 63, at the I.A.B.

Led by 6-2 guard Phil Shaw, who sank 9 of 13 shots, all from 15 feet out or farther, Tufts hit on a fantastic 53 per cent from the field, 27 of 51. Shaw was high scorer with 24 points, but the man who damaged Harvard the most was a lanky 6-6 center, Pete Stanley.

Stanley netted 20, on 9 for 15, and was invincible under the boards. Compensating for his lack of weight with aggressive play sparked by elbows flying in all directions, he kept the Crimson from its usual domination of the boards. The Jumbos won the battle of the rebounds, 54 to 44.

Tufts jumped off to a 4-0 lead, and kept control of the game throughout. The margin increased to 18-8, with Bert Muench tallying 10 of the Jumbo markers, mostly on 20 foot sets. At halftime the Jumbos led, 44 to 33, behind a 60 per cent shooting average, on 17 of 25.

The margin remained fairly constant at 10 points for 15 minutes of the second half, when the varsity staged a desperate full court press to break up a stall. Bob Repetto hit for seven points in less than two minutes to close the gap to 62-58, but Tufts was able to withstand the pressure and retain its advantage.

Monk Muncaster and Repetto were the only Crimson regulars to perform adequately, scoring 22 and 19 points, respectively. Bryant Danner and George Harrington displayed some of their worst ball to date, despite Danner's 15 rebounds.