Hodel Agrees To Cooperate With Council

Group Will Inspect HYRC Investigation

By Bryce E. Nelson

The Student Council yesterday won a major victory in its battle to assert its right to investigate the Harvard Young Republican Club.

HYRC President Donald P. Hodel '57, who had maintained that the Stalker-Smith election struggle should be settled within the club itself and had refused to attend Monday night's Council meeting, sent the following letter to the Council: "Clearly as Dean Leighton has stated, 'organizational irresponsibility' cannot be condoned in undergraduate organizations. Responsibility of students groups must be assured.... In view of this position, therefore, if the HYRC does not act, the Student Council not only ought to, but must investigate the matter."

Hodel, a Stalker supporter, agreed to present a report of the HYRC Special Investigating Committee to the Student Council. He also agreed to give the Council access to the Committee's testimony and minutes and to keep it informed on the progress of the Committee.

Council President Larry R. Johnson '58 last night commented, "The Council committee is satisfied that at present the HYRC, through its President and its Special Committee is acting responsibly. The Council wishes to emphasize, however, that the report will be scrutinized very closely, and that the Council may subsequently further recommend Dean's Office action.... If the Special Committee Report is not completed before the election scheduled for March 7, the Council will insure that the election is not held until that report is completed."

The Special Committee finished receiving charges yesterday and will examine evidence and proof in the next few days.

Deans Deny Rumors

Both Deans Watson and Leighton yesterday denied rumors that outside pressure had been brought to bear on them not to take any formal action against the HYRC. Wide-spread rumors are circulating throughout the University to the effect that undergraduates interested in the outcome of the HYRC elections have sent letters to wealthy Republicans asking that they exert economic pressure in the University's current fund drive.

Dean Watson commented, "In my eleven years at Harvard, I have never seen any outside group, alumni or otherwise, influence this sort of decision." Watson acknowledged, however, that attempts had been made.