Farnsworth Report Notes Health Improved at University in 1955-6

Fewer Stillman Cases

By Alan H. Grossman

General health within the University has been "better than for many years," according to the 1955-6 report released yesterday by Dr. Dana M. Farnsworth, director of University Health Services.

Farnsworth pointed out that admissions to Stillman Infirmary reached a 30-year low of 1,043 last year. "However, the problem of infectious mononucleosis continues to be annoying and frustrating," he continued. A peak of 89 cases was recorded last year.

A similar tendency toward less illness requiring infirmary care has been noted by the health services at many other colleges.

Violent Deaths

"The one dark spot on an otherwise good record for the year was the unusually large number of violent deaths among students," his report continued. Three students were victims of a fire in Canada during the Christmas vacation, two died in an automobile accident, and two ended their lives by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Farnsworth's report also noted that "greater demands than ever" have been made upon the Psychiatric Service. "This is not because of an increase in the number of emotional disorders, but rather a recognition by the University that treatment of concerned students produces favorable results," he said.

The Psychiatric Service saw 750 students last year, but it is thought that a considerable number obtained help from private psychiatrists in Boston. The exact extent of such help is not known.