M.I.T. Baseball Team Defeats Varsity Squad With Two-Hit Shutout

By Walter L. Goldfrank

The same offense that carried the varsity nine to Tuesday's 20-8 win over Brandeis was yesterday good for only two hits and three walks, as underdog M.I.T. shut out the Crimson, 2 to 0.

Sophomore Dick Oeler, a little lefty with a good change of pace and not much else, went the route for M.I.T., striking out two and permitting no more than one baserunner in any inning.

Four men reached third for the varsity, but of these, only one came close to crossing the plate. In the fifth inning, Kent Hathaway was safe at first on an error, stole second, and advanced to third when the shortstop missed the throw by catcher Warren Goodnow. He was then out at the plate, attemtping to score on John Getch's fly to shallow left.

Tom Bergantino led off the game for the Crimson with a booming triple to deep right-center, only to be stranded there as the next three batters failed to bring him in. In both the third and seventh innings, the varsity put men on third with two outs, but neither Captain Bob Cleary nor pinch-batter Jim Shue was able to deliver the clutch hit.

The batters had trouble with Oeler be cause they were swinging for the distance, instead of trying to punch his pitches, as Cleary did with one out in the ninth for the second varsity hit.

Herb Scheiner pitched the full eight innings for the Crimson, giving up six hits, walking only one, and fanning five. His performance was indeed creditable, but was not good enough to win, as he gave up single markers in the second and sixth.

A two-out single by Elliott Fineman scored Goodnow from second for the first M.I.T. run. It was all Oeler needed, but the Engineers added an insurance tally in the sixth. Neil Fitzpatrick walked, moved to second when Paul Larson walked and came across on Eric Hasseltine's bloop single to short right.

In other action yesterday afternoon, the Yardlings walloped the Holy Cross Freshmen, 11 to 5, and the J.V. edged the B.U. Freshmen in ten innings, 4 to 3.Freshman CHARLIE RAVENAL crosses the plate as a relay from the outfield gets past the Holy Cross catcher. The Yardlings won the game, 11 to 5.