Tennis Team Plays North Carolina For Third Time in Contest Today

Junta May Play

By Walter L. Goldfrank

The varsity tennis team will meet a very strong North Carolina squad today on the indoor courts at The Country Club in Brookline. The home courts will be too wet to use.

Captain Dale Junta is still suffering from a back injury incurred on the Southern trip, but if he is needed, he may be able to play doubles. On the trip, the Crimson encountered the Tarheels twice, winning 6 to 5 in the first contest and losing 8 to 7 in the second. From all indications, today's match will be close.

At first singles for North Carolina will be veteran Bob Bortner. Opposing the Tarheel captain for the Crimson will be Larry Sears, who defeated him 6-4, 6-4, at Chapel Hill. Sears has been playing very well this season and has a good chance to lead off with a victory.

Sophomore Tim Gallwey will occupy the second position for the varsity. His opponent will be Steve Bank, who, like Gallwey, is small. Bank won over the slender lefty in the first Chapel Hill match but was trounced by Sears in the second. Although somewhat erratic, Gallwey has shown tremendous improvement this year, and will give Bank a tough match.

Playing third singles for the varsity will be Ned Weld, who also has shown much improvement this season. Weld, who has been bothered lately by a back injury, will face Geoff Black.

The remainder of the varsity lineup will comprise Al Goldman, Fred Vinton, and Bill Wood. Their Tarheel counterparts at fourth, fifth, and sixth positions will be Mac Clark, Ben Makepeace, and Bobby Lockett. The North Carolina trio is exceptionally good for the lower half of the lineup and could very well provide the margin for a Tarheel triumph.

If Junta plays in the doubles matches, he and Sears will be at number one. If not, Gallwey and Vinton will move up from the number two spot. In this case, Sears will team up with Pete Krogh at second position, with Weld and Wood playing third.

Junta said last night that the varsity "is a stronger team that when we last played North Carolina." But the Tarheels have also improved since early April and will be looking to win the season series that now stands at one match apiece.

Thursday afternoon the Crimson will meet undefeated Brown in an Ivy League match, and Saturday, Princeton will visit Cambridge with another of its perennially strong squads.