Crimson Basketball Team to Meet Strong Dartmouth Tonight at I.A.B.

By Walter L. Goldfrank

A powerful Dartmouth basketball team, undefeated in League play and picked to win the title, will meet the varsity tonight at 8:30 on the IAB floor. Needless to say, the visitors are heavy favorites.

Led by 6 ft., 6 in. Rudy LaRusso, the Indians have posted a 7-4 record thus far, including impressive wins over Brigham Young and Canisius, and losses to Vanderbilt (which knocked off Kentucky), Butler, Bradley, and Holy Cross. In League play, the Green has squeaked past Yale, 52 to 51, and has soundly defeated Columbia and Cornell.

Captain LaRusso is a consistent 15 point a game scorer, who also pulls down a good number of rebounds. Along with him in the front court will be either Gary Vandeweghe (the younger brother of the former New York Knickerbocker star) or George Ramming, both of whom measure over 6 ft., 4 in. and are strong off the backboards.

At center, coach Doggie Julian will go with 6 ft, 8 in. Dave Farnsworth, a junior who has not been particularly effective to date. The Indians are very strong in the backcourt, however, where they use Chuck Kaufman and Walt Sosnowski. Kaufman is averaging about 15 markers a game, and Sosnowski about 10. Dartmouth is weak in reserve strength, but the starting five more than compensates for this deficiency.

The Crimson, on the other hand, has blown hot and cold all season, but showed real signs of improvement this weekend in nosing out Cornell and Columbia. In both contests, the varsity demonstrated its ability to rebound effectively and to come from behind.

Coach Floyd Wilson will employ his regular starting five, which he said yesterday "jelled" in the first three Ivy contests. At the forwards will be Bob Repetto and Bob Bowditch, whose last-second jump shot sent Cornell to defeat Friday night. Both forwards have been consistently good rebounders, despite their relatively small heights (both are 6 ft., 1 in.).

At the guards will be George Harrington, who has relied on a deadly set shot and a fine jump shot to take command of the League scoring race, and the everhustling Mike Donohue. Griff McClellan will start at center; Dave Grayer and Jack Foker will probably be the first two reserves.

A freshman game will precede the varsity contest, which on the basis of past performances and all-around strength should go to the Indians. Back on Friday, October 24, however, people were saying the same thing about another Dartmouth team that came to Cambridge...