Soccer Varsity to Face Powerful Amherst Team

By Michael S. Lottman

With memories of last year's 3-0 loss to Amherst still strong, the varsity soccer squad will face the Lord Jeffs this afternoon at 1 p.m. in Amherst. This game will be the first real test of the Crimson's effectiveness, and coach Bruce Munro yesterday called the contest "one we have to win" in the interests of morale.

Amherst has lost many of the players who helped whip the Crimson last fall. Their starting line-up includes new men at both insides and both wings, and a sophomore at right half. However, Pieter van der Toorn, a very good lineman, will be at center half, and Drew Mallory, who wrecked the varsity's offense in 1958, will be back at fullback.

The Lord Jeffs use a long passing game, with wing-to-wing exchanges a frequent occurrence. They are expected to be especially difficult on defense, since Mallory will have three other backfield holdovers to support him.

Munro plans to field the same line-up that started in the Tufts contest, except that Larry Ekpebu will open at center forward in place of Keith Lowe. Tadgh Sweeney and John McIntosh will start at the wings, and John Hedreen and John Mudd will begin at inside. Marsh McCall, Bill Rapp, Charlie Steele, Lanny Keyes, and Tim Morgan will be in the backfield, with Tom Bagnoli guarding the nets.

Injuries to McCall, Steele, and Morgan may hamper the Crimson. McCall and Steele are suffering from leg contusions, and Morgan sprained his ankle in the Tufts encounter. Charlie David is a capable fill-in at fullback, however, and the second halfback line of Bill King, Bill Driver, and Pete Savage showed in Wednesday's game that the Crimson has few backfield worries.

The Crimson's depth, in fact, will be a large point in its favor this afternoon. Besides its second-string backfield strength, the team has another excellent goalie in Bob Forbush and good line support with Al Butzel, Keith Lowe, Nick Lamont, and Harv Mazer. Munro used 31 players in the Tufts game, and he will take 26 men to Amherst. Since few teams are yet in top condition, the Crimson's depth should prove valuable.

Ekpebu's emergence as a potentially fine center forward should add confidence to the Crimson attack. He and Mudd give the varsity two spectacular scoring threats, and McIntosh is always accurate from right wing. Sweeney is a fine playmaker, and Hedreen, hampered by foot injuries against the Jumbos, should be ready to utilize his proven scoring punch.

Morale is always a problem for Munro at this stage of the season. The squad is never really "up" for contests with non-Ivy schools, but a defeat by one of its non-League opponents can send team spirit dropping. Amherst has always been a tough opponent, and the Lord Jeffs will be aiming for another upset today.